Any opinions on freshwater refugiums

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tommyk

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi,

I have a spare 15 gallon tank. I'm thinking of setting it up next to my main display as a refugium. I'm thinking of just filling it with semi submerged plants like pothos, impatiens peace Lillie's and anything else I can get to grow in it. In the hope that this will reduce nutrients in my system and maybe reduce water changes

I'm curious has anybody tried this and how did you find it

Thanks

It can work, but you will have to hide the return pump and drain line.

IMO it would be better to hide the refugium all together.

Also pwc is easier than keeping a refugium ime.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Fill it with javamoss and highlight, it's fast growing plant and grow under any conditions. Supply it with a bit Liquid carbon and you get moss outbreak, great for filtering...

IMO FW tanks don't require refugiums, especially if it's a planted tank, you want to keep some nutrients in the water to feed them... I would transform your 15g into a QT tank instead fuge...

Never thought of java moss thanx.

Was thinking of making a sort of feature out of it. Like a miniature garden with a lot of plants growing out of the top. And using the waste from the fish to feed it. Not sure if it would work.

I'm not sure how much use I would make out of a qt tank. My closest fish store is over 30 miles away so I don't get there much so I wouldn't use it for new fish and all my stock is from the one shop.

I use this QT tank if I buy new fishs or when a fish in the show tank is sick. My setup is now fully stocked, and I just use it for my GF betta... Or keeping excess plants before I sell them.

I started something within the means cause I was bored on Sunday night...but doing it a bit different cause I dont want to deal with plants. Added some rocks and a light to gown algae in the bucket. In the main tank I get some algae but nothing crazy till a few ago and think it has to do with the light and feeding a bit more. I ordered 3 or was it 4 new lights. Pink, White 10k, blue(purple) and I believe actinic as well. Just looking for more color to pop on the African cichlids as I always had the 10k & actinic.

On the other hand it's kind of a plus with the algae cause my African cichlids grazing on the rocks with algae, but I dont want to get to the point of it overtaking my tank. To keep the algae in check I scrub with with a toothbrush and suck it out when doing PWC every week.

Anyways, this is more of a experiment project for me. I was gonna do the deep sand bed for fresh water as well. Might do both-

I have small pump in the sump that is pumping water to my bucket & I put a bulk fitting & a 1in PVC to drain back in the sump. On top of the bucket I have a light source on. Might add a filter sock to the end of the water coming back out to the sump. If I do the deep sand bed with black worms (or not), I will do a cascade effect from the first bucket to the 2nd bucket being the deep sand bed and the water back to the the sump.

Can I do an algae scrubber?...sure...but this is what I had at the time and what I did. I know before PWC my nitrate hover in the 5ppm so we will see how it works. That was more than I wanted to write..lol

Hi rare.

My idea is in the experimental stage at the minute.

Not sure if it will work but it will do no harm. I have made an overflow for my tank which will supply the small tank. And then pump back to main tank. I don't plan on filling the small tank to the top. Just about half way. And Just hoping to cram in loads of plants with just the roots in the water. I'll probably use gravel as a support. So I shouldn't have to add any carbon dioxide as they will get it from the air. I'm hoping that they will mop up any excess nutrients and cut down on water changes.
I may have to add some potassium but I was reading online that bananas can be a good source. Just a small piece of the skin could be used as a root tab.
I could be barking up the wrong tree but probably worth a try.

Rock already with the lights on 24hrs are turning green

ku9r.jpg

fm2j.jpg

ery6.jpg

I can't think of anything being wrong with a refugium, especially if you're growing plants in it, it could be beneficial for the fish. As far as a substitute for water changes, it doesn't work for me.
Even if you're able to lower nitrates, that shouldn't be a trade off for water changes.

I understand water changes are a pain, I have four tanks, if this is an issue, how about just finding an easy solution for water changes?

PWC should always be done IMHO. Even if what I have works to bring the Nitrates down to super low under 5ppm, I will always do PWC every week (80%). I can get away with doing it every 2weeks-4plus weeks, but that only happens when I'm on vacation. I get them fatty up before I leave and do back to back PWC. At least I know when I get back the nitrate are low. I dont do it because of the nitrate...I do it because I dont know what else is in the water that can cause problems later on for them.

One reason I personally wanted to do this is to feed them just a bit more & keep the water in checked. The other being that I will be adding more african cichlids in the aquarium and that will help as well if it works.

For best use of refugium, use floater plants like water lettuce. Those plants are exposed to air and gets plenty of CO2. Java moss under it is fine.

Hi.

I've done a bit of research online. I think I used the wrong word in refugium, it is more of a riparium I am trying to create, but plan on having it connected to my main tank to act as a natural filter. I plan on leaving my biological filter running in the main tank, but using the riparium to polish extra nutrients out of the system

No you are using the proper word in refugium/sump. People keep plants and equipment in the refugium/sump to export nutrients.

You want fast growing plants, and there is no other plants that grows better and faster than floating plants. You need a big sump though. Researchers have even studied the use of floating plants to filter sewage water.

If you want something that really pulls pollution from water, look into algae turf scrubber. It probably grows as good as cheato (very common algae grown in refugiums to export nutrients).

Back
Top Bottom