API Master Kit, how to use the colour chart correctly?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

philipraposo198

Aquarium Advice Addict
4 months into my first tank and I still don't think I use the colour chart correctly... At least I am not sure if I am or not (lost instructions

So for example I want to test my nitrates, I first did a test on my tap water and it came up showing 0, clearly yellow in colour.

I test my tank and I get an orange, problem is I am not sure whether I am looking at 10ppm or 30ppm or somewhere in between.

There is no natural sun light in the room at all, normal light fixtures. Do I hold the card up to the light with the card separating myself from the light or with me separating the light from the card.

Also, do I put the test tube touching the white on the card or like a bit away from the card but still in front of the white portion?

Doing these things results in lighter or darker shades of orange which is confusing :s

Any help?!

So basically it goes red at around 30ppm nitrates?

Mine has never gone redish at all. Always an orange.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Aquarium Advice mobile app

At 30ppm the orange starts to take on a reddish tinge at 40 it is red. From there the red just gets darker and darker. You want to keep it orange. Preferably light orange. If it gets to red it's time to do a couple water changes to get it back to light orange. I always do at least a 50% change when it hits dark orange. :)

I been doing 50-60% weekly. It goes down to around 5ppm so I must be sitting 10-20ppm at the end of the week.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom