Apple snails-sex

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

Ok, i know that it takes 2... but are they distinctly male or female? Or can any 2 apple snails mate?

I think they are both male and female.
Mix any two and they'll mate.

Can't remember what it's called when they are both sexes for the life of me though... a hemaphrodite> I have no clue.... please don't laugh if hemaphrodite is something totally not related lol.

Actually, according to applesnail.net, apples snails are gonochoristic (separated sexes). So, you would need a male and a female. If you have two females, they are not gonna breed, same with two males.

http://applesnail.net/

Fluff- Thats what i thought.

Seanmurphy- That comic strip would be very mush suited for ramshorns tho! :lol:

OMG!!! I was just looking in my 10 gallon tank (i just put 4 of my apple snails in there so they could breed without the babies getting eatin by the clown loaches in my 55 gallon.. then the big ones are going back in the 55 gallon)

ANyway i see a baby apple snail in the 10 gallon!! It must've hitchhiked off of the plants when i took all the live plants out of the 55 and put them in the 10 becuase i just put hte adults in the 10 gallon today!!!

ITS SO CUTE!!! LOL!!!!

Back
Top Bottom