Aquaripure filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I went about and did some research on it for the purpose of this post. I checked multiple reviews and read a few forum topics, on this website as well.
It is supposed to work by culturing the bacteria. I have seen many reports saying it might smell a bit from the bacteria under/over flow from the sulfate.
I have no reports on it having problems exept the odor problem.

Here is the website explaining it: Aquaripure Home Page

Here is a similar post witch somewhat might interest you: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f60/aquaripure-nitrate-filters-125667.html

A word of advice: Just because this will greatly reduce nitrates and/or other residues, this will not eliminate completely all the toxins, and other matter, so you're water change schedule shouldn't be too extended(1,2month water changes).

Thanks
I installed the aquaripure because my tank had two many Discus and fish and I thought the ammonia would go hay wire and kill my fish. Ive lost three discus and I'm trying to find out why. But i will tell you something. About the time my aquaipure cycled I experienced a PH Crash! My water from the tap has a Ph of 7.6. in 7 days it went down to 6.0! Would this cause them to die? I recently purchased three new Discus! I don't have a quarantine tank. So I guess they cloud have a parasite. I don't want to loose all my beautiful Discus so I treated the water for parasites. I also did a 25% water change and brought the Ph to 7.0. When I checked the Ph this morning it is starting to swing to acid again. Im wondering if it is the Aquaripure! Im at the end of my rope. HELP

gp30 - give aquaripure a call and see if their system causes the PH to fall.

gp30 - give aquaripure a call and see if their system causes the PH to fall.

I've been in constant contact with John from Aquaripure . He's kind of vague at times. He states he has never heard of such a spike! But it does affect the ph according to him. The problem is I feel helpless because I'm not sure of what's causing my Discus to die! I need to know what is going on to plan a fix!

Not trying to be mean when I say this, just trying to give you a little friendly advise. You said you were worried that you had too many discuss in the tank and feared ammonia spikes. You then bought 3 more discuss, added them to that tank and lost three. Not sure if you lost 3 then added, or added 3 then lost 3. You also mentioned you are not sure why this happened.

My advise is DON'T add any more fish until you figure out what your problem is. AND, don't start buying equipment that you haven't done the research on. You are just wasting money, and you'll probably make the problem worse. I know we all get excited and impatient and want to just keep adding fish, but these are living creatures and require care.

I don't know much about that filter, but I have seen it and was curious about it myself. No matter what though, as already stated, this filter will not replace water changes. You will still have to keep up with maintenance.

Once again, don't take any of this the wrong way. Just trying to help a fellow member out. I hate to hear about people just wasting their money for no good reason.

Not trying to be mean when I say this, just trying to give you a little friendly advise. You said you were worried that you had too many discuss in the tank and feared ammonia spikes. You then bought 3 more discuss, added them to that tank and lost three. Not sure if you lost 3 then added, or added 3 then lost 3. You also mentioned you are not sure why this happened.

My advise is DON'T add any more fish until you figure out what your problem is. AND, don't start buying equipment that you haven't done the research on. You are just wasting money, and you'll probably make the problem worse. I know we all get excited and impatient and want to just keep adding fish, but these are living creatures and require care.

I don't know much about that filter, but I have seen it and was curious about it myself. No matter what though, as already stated, this filter will not replace water changes. You will still have to keep up with maintenance.

Once again, don't take any of this the wrong way. Just trying to help a fellow member out. I hate to hear about people just wasting their money for no good reason.

Ok number 1- I bought the 3 fish before the problem started! I'm not completely stupid! I brought that purchase up because I thought maybe the problem was caused by them, I.e. a parasite!
2- I did a lot of research on this equipment ( Aquaripure)! I read up on it and listened to testimonials etc. etc! I thought this would have created a healthier environment! Even (Aquaripure ) they say to change the water every couple of months! If you followed all the different test's and testimonials it all sounds great! I feel when I inquired about before buying I should have been told the ph spike was a possibility! My concern has always been the high Ph that comes from the tap water. Any breeder you buy from has their ph around 6. RO units take all elements out then you have to put them back which means adding more chemicals!
Thanks anyway
George

How are you testing your taps ph? Tap ph will change a great amount over 24-48 hrs due to the chlorine gassing off. If you didn't do this, to test tap ph you need to fill a glass with tap water and add an airstone(or stir it ever few hours) and wait a day, then test

Well I guess you did take it the wrong way! Reread your post. You make it sound like you ha lost the fish, had a problem and bought fish again. You also made it sound like you bought the filter, then decided to ask questions. I was merely trying to give you advise to save you money in the future, as you were sounding like you were new to the hobby.

gp30emd2 - unless they are adult discus, changing the water every 3 months will create ugly stunted discus. If we believe what the Aquaripure filter does - remove nitrate - from a tank, it does not address the problem of the buildup of waste and toxins in the tank, or the replacement of needed minerals, especially for discus.

To me, the filter would be excellent (if it works) for people who have high nitrates in their tap water.

gp30emd2 - unless they are adult discus, changing the water every 3 months will create ugly stunted discus. If we believe what the Aquaripure filter does - remove nitrate - from a tank, it does not address the problem of the buildup of waste and toxins in the tank, or the replacement of needed minerals, especially for discus.

To me, the filter would be excellent (if it works) for people who have high nitrates in their tap water.

was just about to say this :p yes water changes are not just because of nitrates, if that was the case, us with lots of live plants would never have to change the water. water changes should be done weekly because of toxins, waste, replenishing nutrients that are in the water naturally, among a ton of other things.

Now you say you are keeping discus, well you should be changing the water at a minimum of every other day if you want them to be heathly, every day is preferred. discus should only be kept my advanced aquarists imo with alot of dedication.

armymp327 - right on! Even plants need that water change. Where I believe you could get away from water changing is when of those self sustaining tank setups and tons of plants, both fully immersed and half-immersed, tiny fish, shrimps, etc. NOT DISCUS.

Wow....I was basically eluding to everything you guys are saying, and I got freaked out on. Seems like we are all pretty much on the same page. Did I say something nasty? I thought I made it perfectly clear that there were no ill intentions.

pH Swing

Thanks
I installed the aquaripure because my tank had two many Discus and fish and I thought the ammonia would go hay wire and kill my fish. Ive lost three discus and I'm trying to find out why. But i will tell you something. About the time my aquaipure cycled I experienced a PH Crash! My water from the tap has a Ph of 7.6. in 7 days it went down to 6.0! Would this cause them to die? I recently purchased three new Discus! I don't have a quarantine tank. So I guess they cloud have a parasite. I don't want to loose all my beautiful Discus so I treated the water for parasites. I also did a 25% water change and brought the Ph to 7.0. When I checked the Ph this morning it is starting to swing to acid again. Im wondering if it is the Aquaripure! Im at the end of my rope. HELP

If you have wood in your tank, it will cause the pH to fluctuate.

Back
Top Bottom