Aquarium salt?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lomeli562

Aquarium Advice Activist
How does everyone feel about using aquarium salt often? Like water changes i use one table spoon every 10 gal. Is this harmful benificial or it dosent matter?

Sent from my HTC One X using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I personally believe that aquarium salt shouldn't be used unless you are specifically treating for something. Otherwise theres no point.

What about it helping with gill function and their coat

They don't need help with gill function or slime coat assuming they are healthy and all is well. Aquarium salt is basically a gimmick. There are some situations where salt works to treat disease or issues, but it's not something that should be perpetually used with freshwater fish.

They don't need help with gill function or slime coat assuming they are healthy and all is well. Aquarium salt is basically a gimmick. There are some situations where salt works to treat disease or issues, but it's not something that should be perpetually used with freshwater fish.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

It's definitely not a gimmick , as in all fresh water there is some sort of salinity in it , it just depends in how high the content is . Wether from the runoff off water to rocks to soil . It will be there but using in excess all time isn't good. Once a month - x2 Won't hurt and will promote better health .

I used to use salt in my tanks...for about 2 years. Thought it was beneficial as well. After a lot of research it seemed 50/50 on what people thought. When I ran out of the salt I figured I would stop using it and see if it made a difference. I never noticed any different in the health of the fish. If there was any benefits to it I didn't see them. While using salt I still had a parasite that killed half of my fish.

In addition to these comments in respect to salt not being a necessity in a fw tank, also realize that if this is in consideration of your goldfish, it is definitely not needed. Goldfish can tolerate salt for short periods of time such as when its medically necessary for treating a health issue but long term use can have dire consequences such as nephric, endocrine and metabolic damage that can result in a shortened lifespan. Long term use of salt can also result in parasites and bacteria that are salt tolerant and/or resistant negating the medical benefits salt can provide when necessitated. Save the salt for treatment purposes. :)

Salt in Freshwater Tanks

How does everyone feel about using aquarium salt often? Like water changes i use one table spoon every 10 gal. Is this harmful benificial or it dosent matter?

Hello lome...

Standard aquarium salt was used quite a bit back in the day, but not so much the last few years. I've used a teaspoon in every 5 gallons of my replacement water for about 10 years with good results. My fish and plants have never complained anyway.

I like to change out a lot of the tank water every week. The fish and plants seem to prefer it.

B

One of my favorite ongoing discussions.

I vote that aquarium salt, which is merely the same as table salt with no additives, is a gimmick and is in no way needed in a freshwater environment.

It's definitely not a gimmick , as in all fresh water there is some sort of salinity in it , it just depends in how high the content is . Wether from the runoff off water to rocks to soil . It will be there but using in excess all time isn't good. Once a month - x2 Won't hurt and will promote better health .

There is no salinity in freshwater. If you were to test strict freshwater in a lake or river that is not near the ocean a hydrometer or refractometer will measure 1.000 specific gravity. If it measures any higher that is deemed brackish water. IMO aquarium salt does nothing for a freshwater aquarium.

Back
Top Bottom