Are lava rocks okay to use in my tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

r6mason

Aquarium Advice Activist
I wanted to make a wall background for my 55 gal but I do not want it to be too heavy. I was going to take lava rocks and silicone them to one another to make like a straight up and down wall along the back of my tank. Also when starting a new tank with new gravel if I have at least 2 hand fulls of gravel that has been in my other tank how long will it take for the bacteria to grow on the new gravel. let me know if you need more info.

Thanks
Mason

That type of rock will raise your pH, so unless you are keeping Cichlids its not a good idea.

I'm nowhere near an expert, but you could try the acid trick to find out if it will leech chemicals. I would be most concerned with the sharp tendency of lava rock most of all.

FMJnaX said:
I'm nowhere near an expert, but you could try the acid trick to find out if it will leech chemicals. I would be most concerned with the sharp tendency of lava rock most of all.

Thats a concern too, if a fish gets spooked and darts for cover it could really injure itself.

yes you do make a good point. Yes I would be keping cichlids. Do you know of any other way of making a wall. like with styrofoam maby. Just throwing out some ideas.

They are also reported to leach phosphate into the water, but there sharpness is enough reason not to use them. Therew are people that make walls of strofoam covered with cement. Try the DIY section of various forums.

For seeding your new tank, take your filter and run it onl the old tank for about 2 weeks and that should be even better than the gravel.

Have you considered River Rocks? They are smooth, no chance of leeching anything into the tank and can be used to do just about anything in regard to aquascaping.

If I weren't so dadgumb lazy, I would have completed my river rock cave already. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom