Are my Otos eating?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ScottS

Aquarium Advice Freak
Bought three, lost one in 24 hours. I saw one, well, pooping. Does this necessarily mean it's eating in my tank? I don't have a lot of algae (which I know is a bit of a requisite.) The lfs said they'd also eat scraps like the frozen brine shrimp I feed. I've never heard of that before. Anyhow, last night I added aome unskinned, boiled peas, but as far as I can tell, the otos didn't touch them.

Today I put in a piece of spinach and a piece of lettuce. Hopefully I'll see evidence they've been munching.

Algae discs :p From my reading, oto's require algae.. they can scavenge but pretty much rely on algae. Also, several profiles I've read in the past suggests they will not do well unless live plants exist. Not sure the reason.

They are nocturnal and will sometimes not do much during the day except sit around. Check your tank and night with a dim flashlight and they should be all over the place :)

I forgot to add that I dropped an algae disc in the first night. It did disappear over the next 24 hours, but I have no idea who ate it! I saw the cories and the cardinals both picking at it.

Do they have fat round little bellies? Or are their bellies sunken in? If they have nice full bellies, they're eating; no worries :)

Back
Top Bottom