Baby Plec

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Topcats3

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi
I've an 87l tropical community tank with neon tetras, platys and a baby plec (bristlenose i was advised) my tanks previously been cycled and has been going about a month with fish in it. I previously had a small 30l tank with just the platys who ive still got.
My plec has started in the last few days lying on his back, he jumps up quick, spins around like a spinning top then goes back to the bottom. He lies for ages and i can see hes breathing. Ive checked all my nitrites, nitrates, ph, hardness and ammonia, all good. I'm worried hes not eating enough maybe. I give him wafers but my platys eat them. I give flakes to my fish once a day and a couple of pellets a day to my 2 brine shrimp.
Any suggestions please?

What does your water test out at?

How often do you do water changes and how much?

Throw a half a wafer in right before you're ready to turn off the lights at night. This will keep your other fish off his food.

Gh 120, KH 80, PH 7.5, NO2 0, NO3 0, AMMONIA 0. I've been doing a 10 -15 litre water change weekly.
Thanks ill try that at night.

Usually a cycled tank has some sort of nitrate reading.

It's a good idea to do a 40 liter (50%) weekly water change as a regular practice. You may also see your pleco getting better and keep your other fish from developing issues down the road.

Ok, i thought it woyld be fully cycled after 6 weeks. Is it normal to have a nitrate readi g then and do i need to do anything? Ill try the 50% water change from now on. Thanks so much for your advice. X

It can be after 6 weeks but depends on several things. I'd be concerned with 0 nitrates on a new tank.

If you have to do a fish in cycle now just test the water frequently..... like every few days. Do water changes if your ammonia or nitrites raise. Try to keep them at or below .25 ppm. Especially nitrites.

Like I said, 50% weekly water changes even if cycled is a good regime to keep healthy fish. A member here made a good point about this.....if you lived in a toilet bowl you would want to change out a good amount of water frequently.

Thanks I will. Unfortunately I've just checked on my baby plec again and he's passed away. Gutted, poor mite. I'll do as youve advised and hopefully my others will be fine.

Might not have been anything you did. I wouldn't beat yourself up over it. Live and learn.

Back
Top Bottom