back to the wal mart thing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nope..not quite..the laws in most states are still using animal definitions..

Fish do not fall under brute.
Fish do not fall under animal (which even frogs and turtles do)

Fish (which fall under livestock if they so wish to define) and livestock do not fall under these protections
which is why they can be auctionedd or given as prizes in ALL states but 2!

No protection for fishies really..*sniff* :cry:

Tis true krap as xmasfish said....and does the wal-mart you live near sell animals besides fish? I didn't even know wal-mart carried fish until I started working there. All the ones around me sell fish only... Interesting article though, I see my state is not listed...

Blech. My state isn't listed, and the care of the fish at a local Wal-Mart are generally deplorable. Posted right next to the tanks are instructions of what to do daily or weekly or whatever, and it's generally obvious it isn't monitored as well as it should be. Like sometimes entire tank(s) are infected with ich, and they have specific instructions as to how to treat it, but it's not taken care of and the fishies die. :x I often wish I worked there just so that I could take care of situations like that, but in all probablility, they'd assign me to cosmetics (ugh, heaven forbid!) or something and then I could never actually remedy the problem. It's really sad. :(

Oh my state's listed, and I quote:

"no pet dealer shall knowingly sell any cat or dog younger than eight weeks of age -- N.Y. AGRIC. & MKTS. LAW § 402"

Apparently thats it. No petshop laws. And this one leaves an out: "knowingly".

Pathetic really.

purplestarfish, I felt the same way! So I got a job there! Get to be dept. manager and do what I want to with them..get paid good money for it...and the fishies survive....and I go home happy at the end of the day :)

Thanks menag....it took me a while but I finally got the job. Tanks weren't that bad before I got there, but I actually clean them now =) It's a hard job to do all by myself, only one part time help now..but I hear all of these other WM horror stories and I think proudly "not my department" LOL
Now all I gotta do is talk the store manager into letting me store-use a 29 gal. kit to use as QT....that will take a while... :roll:

Back
Top Bottom