Bacteria bloom ?????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

slowboattochina

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello all, Can anyone tell me if adding rock and extra substrate could cause a bacteria bloom? My water was crystal clear then I added some picturestone for a cave and added about another 30 lbs of gravel substrate. My water started to clear from some leftover dust in substrate (yes I rinsed sustrate and scrubbed and boiled rock)and now seems to be clouding up a little. Water params are ammonia 0 nitrites 0 nitrates 20. Thanks. Slow.

Assuming you did not add anything that would increase the bioload, I don't see how it could have affected the balance. Other around here know more than me, so hopefully they have insight. The other possibility is if there is something leaching into the water from either the substrate or the rock.

Just my guess.

I was wondering if maybe the substrate or rock could of added nutrients for the bacteria to build upon. I know that eventually everything in aquarium gets a (bateria) slime coating on it. Could that cause a small bacteria bloom?

Back
Top Bottom