Bah!! What is going on?? **New problem and question**Pics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Meredith

Aquarium Advice Addict
I guess I just need to vent here. I would like to think I am careful and diligent in taking care of my fish. I do regular water changes, make sure they are getting proper nutrition all the while making sure not to over feed. I test the water regularly, and generally try to give them the best environment possible.
This morning I noticed one of my corys is missing his barbells, and the pleco may have a touch of finrot but I cant really tell. So I will be setting up the hospital tank today. And to top it off, The betta's tail (from a different thread) STILL is not getting better.
What am I doing wrong??? I am getting seriously discouraged here.

Diligent in gravel cleaning? Barbel erosion is usually caused by a minor wound becoming infected from bacterial nasties living in the gravel.

I have sand in there with the cories. I think I do a pretty good job of getting the guck out when I do water changes. Maybe its time to pull out some of the decorations and clean underneath.

What's the temperature of your tank Meridith? Bacteria will reproduce rapidly at higher temps.

I keep it at 79. The cories are doing well in their little hospital tank. Its so strange how empty the 55 looks without them in it.

Well, I left the pleco in the 55, and now I see this was a mistake. She is mostly sucked on to the glass so I never really get a good look at her back, but tonight at feeding time, she came down to munch on her pea, and I noticed this white-ish patch of skin, and right in the middle it looks a bit like dandruff (I know its not :wink: ) I have two days worth of melafix in the hospital tank, but I would like to move the pleco over and start treating her as well. Is it safe to do this or should I wait until the corys are done with their meds then start over with Mrs. Hooper?
Also some pics of her patchy skin...

Also I just tested my water today, 0 ammo, 0 trites. between 5 and 10 nitrates, last water change was yesterday, about 40%.

I would wait. The white patch looks like it is probably just a minor abrasion from squeezing through a tight spot....I would not worry overmuch about it.

Hmmm, she does like to hang out under the heater. I guess I will just keep an eye on it then.

Back
Top Bottom