Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-09-2005, 03:33 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

balas acting strange...

hi, quick question... I just got back to college on Monday after spending 3 weeks at home, where my 2 bala sharks accompanied me to. I got back here and immediately went to pick up a new tank (3x bigger - 30gallon) for them, got it all set up and them back in it. the first couple days, they seemed to be fine, although it seemed like they weren't eating much. that problem went away, then I noticed that they were hiding on the left side of the tank a lot (always together) behind some of the plants. that went on for a couple days, and then for probably a day or so they seemed to be okay, but now they're on the other side of the tank (together) beside one of the plants, close to the gravel and barely moving (from there or in general). I don't think they're eating much and I'm really confused as to what's wrong... any help would be appreciated.
if it makes any difference, when I took them home and set up their tank (I took the 10 gallon home and left it there) they were acting weird kind've like this for a couple days also.

EDIT: now I'm wondering if it has something to do with the lighting because I turned it off and they left their "spot" and began eating some of the food that was in the tank. in the 10gal, there was one 15w bulb in (the other burned out and the store didn't have any), but now there's a 30" flourescent in there...

Old 01-09-2005, 03:42 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

What are the water parameters?

Menagerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 03:47 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

hehe uhm... good question when I had it tested, it was fine. read my edit, if you would
Old 01-09-2005, 03:52 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I don't know why the light would make them hide sometimes and not others. Since the fish were fine at first (the lighting was already there?), I think something else is at play.

Menagerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 09:59 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Did you cycle your new tank? Are you using the same filter that was on your 10g?
If you want to read up on the cycling of a tank, here's an article:
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/showqu...q=2&fldAuto=21

Hope they get better!

Tags
bala, balas, strange

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com