bass growth

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bassfisherman

Aquarium Advice Newbie
i have a 3" largemouth bass right now he is in a 40 gal aquarium thats 33" long 11" deep and 20" tall. i was just wandering how long it would take him to grow around 10"? ive already decided that when he gets around 10 inches i was going to buy a 140 gallon aquariun thats 70" long 30" deep and 17"

According to what I have found the average largemouth reaces 10 inches around the 2 year mark.....however the reading I have found pertains to those in a lake/pond setting and not in an aquarium. The habitat will have an impact on the fishes growth rate and you will likely see your fish grow more slowly than a "free" bass. Of course some of the advantages of aquarium life (ie better steady source of food, more controlled nutrition, lack of predation, etc) may actaully have a positive impact on his growth. I will be intersted to hear how it turns out with him. My husband has mused now and then about moving one of our little ones into a tank.
We have several bass in our pond -- while it is impossible to keep track of individual fish on a regular basis I would say the fish we have of varoius ages as a group seem to be tracking with the reading I found as far as growth rate.

Back
Top Bottom