Best method for large water change

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrQuan

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok, this may seem like a dumb question - but since up-sizing to a 240L (64gal) tank, I've come across a predicament...

When I do my weekly water change (usually around 50L/13gal) I siphon the water out with the python, cleaning the gravel - then I mix tap-water with some liquid ammonia and chlorine eliminator and add it bucket by bucket. I'm a bit paranoid about the chemicals in the tap-water - but this takes FOREVER to refill the aquarium one bucket at a time!! :?

I'm wondering - can just put the liquid conditioner stuff in the aquarium and fill the water back up with a hose to speed up the refilling process?? Is that safe to do with the fish still in there?

I'm also concerned about temperature shock on the fish by filling stright from a hose. Can anyone please suggest a good way to go about this?

The way I do it is after I vac the gravel, I take the vac part off and adjust the hose so the end is in the tank but not in the water. Then I turn the water back on at the sink and let the water flow through so I can feel the temp. When its pretty close to being the same temp as the tank water, I turn the thingy so the water flows into the tank and not in the sink. As the water is refilling the tank, I add the dechlor a bit at a time. Another tip, make sure you have something to hold the hose onto the tank, a clip or something, so it does not slip out of the tank and soak the floor. I am constantly checking the temp and going back and forth to adjust and as my back was turned, the carpet got a nice bath :D

If you are syphoning out with the Python then just use it to refill at your tap - adjusting the temperature before refilling. If you do a search here on the term "Python" you will get hundreds of threads discussing the virtues of this tool, so you can feel safe refilling your tank in this way. Just add your dechlorinator while you are filling.

If your Python does not fit your tap you can get adapters that will do the job.

I do the same as Meredith and TG do. As long as you adjust the tap to the same temp as the tank, you won't have any problems. Just make sure you add the dechlor into the tank. :D I use a baby medicine syringe (never used of course) to measure Prime before adding it to our 150 gal tank. I have to fill it 6 times for water changes. After a while I just started putting it in a shot glass, that way it was premeasured. Eventually I just marked a line on the glass and just pour directly into it. It makes it easy.

Is there ammonia in your tap water? The only thing I add to tap water is a dechlor for chlorine and chloramines.

agreed, just add the conditioner to the tank directly... use a thermometer to test the water or "feel" if it is about right, and refill. Thats what i do and it makes it soooo much easier.

Thanks for the help ppl.

I did a much awaited 50% water change today (driftwood recently added to aquarium), and only took a fraction of the normal time~~ :wink:

I used some PVC pipe and a few 90 degree elbows, and a cap, to make an inverted U-shaped filling attachement that hooks over the edge of the tank, and cannot be pulled loose or otherwise come outta the tank. the inside half is drilled with small holes to diffuse the flow of water so it doesn't bother my plants.

If you have space somewhere for a holding tank (AKA 30 gal plastic garbage can) you could drop a heater, airstone, and a magdrive pump in it. If you don't have chloramines, the airstone drives off the chlorine in 24 to 48 hours. The heater brings it up to tank temp, then its water out with the python and water back in from the holding tank using the magdrive pump and some hose. More expensive and takes more room than just a python, but is very cool to do. I went a step further, and added plumbing to take the water out of the tank with a magdrive pump, so i only use the python for gravel vacs, water changes with the flip of a switch otherwise.

http://home.comcast.net/~tomstank/tomstank_files/page0015.htm

If you ever find yourself in a situation where you can add semi-permanent or permanent plumbing, you will be in water change heaven.

Ive seen an adaptation for Tom's system that used a eheim dosing pump to deliver liquid declorinatior (prime) to the holding tank.. this would make it usefull for all tapwater types save PO4 (then a phosban reactor or phosphate media in a filter could be used) :D

Back
Top Bottom