Best Powerhead with Venturi (air)?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dragon_77

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Ok, I have tried several different powerheads so far, and all have been equally pathetic in the air department. Not the draw volume (that's low on almost any of them, so I use an actual airline), but the fact that all of them have the airline go INTO a receptacle. With that configuration, the hose tends to come loose very easily (I have large, active fish). I an looking for one where the airline goes OVER a nozzle (like with a bubbler).

I'm thinking of just using one of the larger RIO pumps, but would *really* like one with a pre-filter (and I'm not aware of any RIOs, or similar pumps, that have both).

Any ideas/suggestions?

Thanks!

:thanks:

What kind of setup do you have that requires a constantly running venturi? What are your fish, tank size, and filtration?

Not sure what any of that has to do with my question. IMHO, that's like asking why would you want a bubbler going all the time.

FWIW, it's a 90gal low brackish with 2 bubble discs and a Fluval FX5 filter system.

I was just curious. The only time I've found a venturi to be useful is when using certain medications and treatments. Otherwise I think they make a tank look terrible.

I have an aqua clear powerhead and find the venturi on that particular model to be very functional. I don't really have any complaints about it. But then again it's an airline going into the flow rather than onto a nozzle like you want.

I've looked at the AquaClear, so far had the MarineLand (Pengiun 1140 & Maxi), the Cobalt, and most recently, the ZooMed - I like the rotational function of the ZooMed, but the diverter flap kept falling off, and the flap on the Cobalt was WAY too loose and would just flatten out (& the Maxi is HUGE!)

I got the ZooMed because the cust svc person I spoke with said that the airline DID go *on* the nozzle like a bubbler - it doesn't.

I like the combination functions of aeration, flow, and sponge filtration. Those functions from all of them were just fine, it's just the fact that the blasted airline slips out of the hole SO easily. It's no big deal if you have small fish like dannios, tetras, or neons. But I have active cichlids, a 13" Black Spotted Eel, and an 18" Brown Spotted Highfin Pleco (one swipe of the pleco's tail is practically enough to re-arrange the blasted tank, lol)

Ticks me off that it would be SO easy for any of them to change the design (or to have designed it "sensibly" in the first place). Even if they came out with an adapter for it (or if I could find something that would work as an adapter - since all the holes are the same size, and about the same depth).

I found all of them to be equitable otherwise (with the Pengiun being the lowest maintenance/easiest to clean - but the worst with respect to suction cup life) - I'd even pay extra for magnetic mountings. Blasted suction cups have SUCH a short lifespan :(

If I were you, instead of trying a venturi attachment I'd take a look at getting a powerhead like a hydor koralia and aiming it at the surface. They are very very good powerheads with magnetic suction cup mount. Aiming one of the appropriate size at the surface creates a ton of surface agitation due to its particular flow style and that will help big time towards aerating the tank.

It's not surface agitation that I want (actually, the large bubble discs I have provide more than enough surface agitation).

I have the powerhead submerged and the diverter flap angled down. This provides aeration, water movement, and helps to "churn" debris from the bottom, making it that much easier for it to be pulled into the filter intake.

I have looked at the Koralia series, and they would be more suited to my needs if they had venturi and pre-filter options.

Well in that case I guess splicing an airline into a canister filter would be your best bet to get everything that you want.

Considering it's a ~$300 filter, that's definitely not going to happen.

For me, it's still an issue with seal integrity. Additionally, that removes the "extra" sponge filtration (which *does* help).

Doesn't seem like it should be so difficult to find something that will suit my needs.

Back
Top Bottom