Best way to determine sex of bolivian ram?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

siva

Aquarium Advice Addict
I had my lfs order a female bolivian ram for me. A male and a female came in, and they really looked so much alike. I'm hoping I picked the female, or that I can figure out otherwise soon so I can switch. What's the best way to tell for sure? Is it true that in the bolivians, like the blue's, the females will have blue sheen or flecks on their black spots?

Having a hard time getting a good pic of it as it's still rather shy but here's the best I could get right now. Can anyone tell if it's m or f?
BR.jpg

Haha, funny, I was just researching this today in hopes of getting a pair myself. Anyways, I've read that the males usually have more elongated dorsal fins than females do. "Many males, on the other hand, have a much more elongated third/fourth dorsal ray." And no, from what I've read, it's only according to German Blue Rams that you will have the so-called "blue specks." Bolivian Rams, sadly, aren't as easy to tell... Anyways, good luck with your tank!

lol Yeah I've read that all those things are and aren't good ways to sex them from different sources...hence my confusion :confused: The lfs tried to figure it out for me when they came in and the best they could come up with was that the male would have more red on the edges of his fins..which the smaller one that came in had..so I left the smaller one..even thought I had originally thought the smaller one was probably the female. :ermm:

Back
Top Bottom