Betta and feeding?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mishyc

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have just got a Betta fish and was wondering if he can eat what my cardinal and neons eat? I only feed them micro pellets, can I feed the Betta on just these or do I need Betta specific food for him? IMG_1879.jpgIMG_1882.jpg

Mishy i did feed hikari micro pellets to my betta and he loved it. Its easy to eat for betta. How nutritious it is for a betta is i don't know but i do know betta readily accepts and love. I am not a betta expert but if you are just a casual betta lover then of course this food is ok for betta. Otherwise you need betta only foods. I never bought any betta only foods for my betta. You can However give him stuff like bloodworms or other meaty food as well like twice a week to compensate. Good luck.

At what temperature you keeping your cardinals in? Can they sustain high temperatures?

They are at 25 oC in the book I have on tropical fish, it says the betta and tetras are ok at that degree? In summer the tank got to 27/28 oC on very hot days and had no adverse effect on them

They are at 25 oC in the book I have on tropical fish, it says the betta and tetras are ok at that degree? In summer the tank got to 27/28 oC on very hot days and had no adverse effect on them
Thanks a lot dear. I unfortunately always have a hard time keeping cardinals or neons. I do have them but initially a few dies before settling in. Like if i put seven i ll end up having six and like this. I even drip acclimate them. Don't know what's wrong. I don't have any problems with any other fish even the delicate ones like German and electric blue rams.

I have the opposite, I can keep tetras but lost 2 dwarf gourami and 4 guppies within days/ months of getting them! I started off with 10 neon Tetra, I knew nothing of the nitrogen cycle so put them in 4 days after I set up the tank, 1 ended up in the filter within a week but I rescued it and it lived. I lost 2 unexplainably about 6 months after that. And now I’ve had my 8 neon Tetra 13 months and 6 cardinals just over a month. My Betta 3 days up to now so fingers crossed

I have the opposite, I can keep tetras but lost 2 dwarf gourami and 4 guppies within days/ months of getting them! I started off with 10 neon Tetra, I knew nothing of the nitrogen cycle so put them in 4 days after I set up the tank, 1 ended up in the filter within a week but I rescued it and it lived. I lost 2 unexplainably about 6 months after that. And now I’ve had my 8 neon Tetra 13 months and 6 cardinals just over a month. My Betta 3 days up to now so fingers crossed
Thanks. Yeah in the early days of hobby i didn't know if tank cycling is a thing.

Sorry to hear your fish died but if now your tank is completely cycled? Gouaramis are pretty easy to keep and so as guppies so if they died then there must be too much toxicity in water. Hope no more fish deaths. Good luck.

Please remember to clean your filter media from EXISTING tank water or dechlorinated water. Tank water is more preferable. Also you can use a product like Seachem Stability.

I know to clean my tank media in tank water and have done from the start. I got my guppies about 4 months after set up, and gourami I got a month ago when I got the cardinals, so the tank should have been cycled by then

I know to clean my tank media in tank water and have done from the start. I got my guppies about 4 months after set up, and gourami I got a month ago when I got the cardinals, so the tank should have been cycled by then
That's great. Good luck. Happy fish keeping.

Back
Top Bottom