Betta not accepting food

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ziggs180

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've gotten a new Betta for my new 5g tank that i set up about two days ago. The issue being, the Betta hasnt been eating any food. I've tried feeding him Flakes and Frozen bloodworms, but hes just not eating the food. Hes pretty active, swimming around, and even started building a bubble nest. Only other food I have are some Cichlid pellets that i feed my Rams, that i could maybe crunch up and feed to him, and some micro-wafers.

Are there any ways to kickstart his appetite?

Never feed a betta flakes, and it would be wise to avoid freeze dried food as well. Those foods will cause bloating in your betta and likely will kill him.

The best food for a betta is Hikari bio-gold betta pellets. Almost any LFS or chain pet store will carry them.

Never feed a betta flakes, and it would be wise to avoid freeze dried food as well. Those foods will cause bloating in your betta and likely will kill him.

The best food for a betta is Hikari bio-gold betta pellets. Almost any LFS or chain pet store will carry them.

You can go for pretty much any Betta pellets. Aqueon makes a good one that my Betta's love, and try freeze dried shrimp, but soak them for about 4-5 minutes in tank water to minimize potential bloating.

Sometimes they can go off their food when moved. They can be very fussy little fish. Keep offering him food every day and remove any uneaten so it doesn't dirty the tank. It hasn't been long do I wouldn't be worried yet. He will eat when he's ready.

they do take a while to get used to the new tank...

Mine didnt eat for 4 days, he would look at flakes... look at pellets, look at blood worms, even ignore wriggling earth worms....

when he noticed that he was hungry enough...he ate.

i give my community tank male betta, betta pellets, every other day i will give him peas or flakes, and every other day a earth worm with the head cut off and freeze dried blood worms (live food is only good once in a while) and keeps them feeling they are in there natural habitat so he is more happier, they like to give the chase...

and every seventh day a fast, to clear out there system..

Make sure the tank isn't too cold! When I got my betta he REFUSED! to eat. I stuck a heater in there because it was winter and it was cold in my room so the water was too and he started eating! Also what I do is put some pellets in and right where the pellet is i lightly make some movement by taping the surface and they usually swim right over to it and eat the food! Or maybe try some live worms to kick start it? I take tweezers and only feed mine one at a time! I usually only give him 2 so he's not eating too much at once.

tell him there are starving bettas in Thailand.

Have you tried live or frozen food?

I bought some betta pellets for him, but he seems to not be eating. I'm having some issues with a white film forming in my tank, that i'm not sure whats creating or causing it, and it might be bothering him. My Temperature is at about 76ish degrees. He seems to be having random moments were he'll act lethargic and just float at the top for a bit, then start to explore every nook and corner of the tank. Not sure if thats a red flag.

Ziggs180 said:
I bought some betta pellets for him, but he seems to not be eating. I'm having some issues with a white film forming in my tank, that i'm not sure whats creating or causing it, and it might be bothering him. My Temperature is at about 76ish degrees. He seems to be having random moments were he'll act lethargic and just float at the top for a bit, then start to explore every nook and corner of the tank. Not sure if thats a red flag.

Monitor you water levels and just leave him be for awhile, bettas can be strange and finicky fish.

Back
Top Bottom