Bichir, Clown Loaches, and Pictus Catfish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pictuspower

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
This is purely out of curiosity lol so don't jump the gun.

I know Bichirs get to be around a foot long roughly and I know they are very often kept with Clown Loaches (as well as other larger fish but that's the main fish i recognize every time). I know Clowns get just as big as well. What I'm curious about is... will the hyperactive Pictus Catfish get eaten?

I know Pictus' get to be around 5" full grown, give or take, and compared to a 1' Bichir I'm not sure how small that would be in comparison as the Pictus would be about half it's length.

All 3 of their temperatures fall between the 70-80 F range, their pH is 'fairly similiar, though if the pH were to balance out at around 7 it would be at the very lowest of the Pictus' preferred pH range. And all 3 require a KH of below 12 pretty much.

So the real worry would just be if the smaller Pictus would be gobbled up? Even if the Pictus were introduces first to the tank and allowed to grow a bit before added the Bichir?

Just simple curiosity because I love Bichir and Pictus Catfish, but both require large tanks and I don't want more than one large tank.

FYI: This'll be a 100g tank or a little bit more, depends on what craigslist offers.

The pictus would not get eaten but I wouldn't keep all those fish together. Clown loaches are schoolers and need a tank over 100 gallons. The pictus might be safe fish your bichir but pictus cats are ravenous eaters and may provide competition for food.

I'd watch to make sure both parties are getting their food. may even come up with some kind of.. feeding plan heh one group on this side of the tank, one on the other.

Aside from clown loaches, what other fish would be alright for this combo? Obviously they have to be big. or... fairly decent in size.

well judging by the information between the bichir and the angelfish, it seems it could work. the only problem I find with angelfish though is once they pair off the tank turns into... bickering central. I don't know how much problem that would be in a 100+ gallon tank with all that room though...

Back
Top Bottom