Bigger stand. Smaller tank. Safe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scarthell

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I have another build coming. A 29gallon species tank, but I'm concerned about the stand size.

The stand is made for a Marineland 47 gallon column tank. Quite a bit more weight than what I'm using it for, however I've been reading that all edges of the tank should be lined up with the edges of its stand for safety.

Is this a hard and fast rule? Will the stand just collapse or something?

Tank size: 30 1/4" x 12"
Stand size: 30 3/4" x 18" (top); 28 3/4" x 17" (supporting walls)

So the sides are exactly on the outer edge of the top (past the supporting walls by 1/2" on either side) but the front and back are on the inner portion of the top.

Pics will show how it sits on the stand.

Sent from my D6708 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thoughts?

Sent from my D6708 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1467233887244.jpg
    1467233887244.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 103
  • 1467233902484.jpg
    1467233902484.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 102
If it's a particle board construction I'd get a piece of 3/4" plywood to fit the top stand dimension. Technically the sides should carry the middle of the tank but I wouldn't sleep on it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

If it's a particle board construction I'd get a piece of 3/4" plywood to fit the top stand dimension. Technically the sides should carry the middle of the tank but I wouldn't sleep on it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

This would definitely help.

Yes it's particle board. The sides of the stand weren't actually connected, they were just flush. So the front and back had a slight bow to them when I sat on it (to see if it would wobble under my weight). I added corner braces inside to connect them and it's sturdier. I think I will go ahead and add the plywood on top. After I spray paint it, shouldn't be too noticeable.

But if I don't, on a scale of 1-10 (10 being biggest), how big a risk am I running? I've seen some crazy setups that would keep me up at night but this seems fairly reasonable. Thanks folks for the advice!

Now....any species suggestions? Not doing guppies or mollies as I just don't care for them, but was thinking a goodeid species tank or something else endangered so I can help keep them around.

Sent from my SGP561 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom