Bio Spira expiration date???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blueeyes

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am assuming that Bio Spira will expire- or at least will not be as effective after a certain time. I opened a package back in September, but I didnt use the entire thing so I saved the rest in my fridge. Now, I would like to start a new tank and I am wondering if that package will still be as effective if I use it? I could not find an expiration date on it anywhere.

From my own personal experience working with liquid E coli cultures stored in the fridge, I would guess that most of the bacteria are dead after 5 months.

However, Marineland might be putting pH stabilizers and nutrients in the product to extend the shelf life - best thing would be to ask them. There should be a lot number printed somewhere on the package that you could e-mail them.

And please let us know what they have to say.

Dunno blueeyes; you might also want to throw Bernie a post. He's one of our sponsers and sells a lot of Bio-Spira. He may have some insight as well.

Well to throw my two cents worth in....I have used Bio-spira on most of my tanks. I actually did what you have done, used part of a batch(bought the large size and used it on a 10 gal) and tried to store it. Found after I used the rest of it, all the bacteria had died off in it. I think it was something to do with the air getting into the sealed container started up a reaction in the culture. Thats all I could think of. It would seem to make sense in a way, they seal these things up, and once the air hits them, they start reacting. But as others have said, ask Marineland or someone who deals with it on a every day basis

LAGlocker said:
Well to throw my two cents worth in....I have used Bio-spira on most of my tanks. I actually did what you have done, used part of a batch(bought the large size and used it on a 10 gal) and tried to store it. Found after I used the rest of it, all the bacteria had died off in it. I think it was something to do with the air getting into the sealed container started up a reaction in the culture. Thats all I could think of. It would seem to make sense in a way, they seal these things up, and once the air hits them, they start reacting. But as others have said, ask Marineland or someone who deals with it on a every day basis
That's a really good point that I didn't consider.

BioSpira is stored cold because lower temperatures = lower metabolism. Cold bacteria will stay alive longer in storage because they do not metabolize their limited food supply too quickly.

Since the bacteria in BioSpira use O2 to metabolize ammonia to nitrite to nitrate, it stands to reason that low O2 also = low metabolism. Perhaps exposing the unused product to air is just as bad as exposing it to elevated temperatures.

That was all I could think of as to why it wouldnt work. I opened the package, poured out a dose and stuffed it into a fridge all in like 5 min and a few months later it wasnt any good. Of course now when I buy it I buy it all in the smaller packages ( I get a good deal on them at my pet store, usually buying 10 at a time) and only open up what I need, so for a 55 its like 2 packages. That way I am not really wasting any money on it, and I set up a new tank, either my own or someone elses every few months, so it doesnt set that long either. Just my tcw.

Thanks for all the great advice. You guys mentioned some things that I never even considered! I will have to check with Marineland I think to be sure. Just thought I would ask though, becuase if it was still good, I didnt want to toss it out. Thanks again for your input.

Out of curiosity, I e-mailed Marineland - here is their response. I'm assuming that their answer also includes the time the product spent in the store prior to purchase.

Hello!
It is a year sealed, & 6 months after opening.
Thank you!

Marineland Customer Service
6100 Condor Dr. Moorpark, CA. 93021
(800)322-1266

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, February 02, 2004 6:16 PM
To: custserv
Subject: Storage of BioSpira

Several of us on the AquariumAdvice.com freshwater forum have some questions regarding the storage of unused portions of BioSpira. How long will sealed and opened product last refrigerated? Is it air-sensitive?

Back
Top Bottom