Black banded leporinus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ebjdkeeper22

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Does anyone else have one of these? I got mine a month ago an he was 2 inches long and scrawny and now he's 6 inches and fat. Is it normal for them to grow this fast or am I just doing everything right? I'm kinda new to this so seeing an improvement like this excites me

Woops I just realized I posted this in the wrong place I'm on my phone and can't read all of the heading of the forums. I appologize. But my questions will help others with this fish find out a little information about its growth rate so no harm done

Ebjd.....I just acquired one of these a few months ago, and I've had the same experience. Mine was about 2 inches when I rescued him from Petsmart, and now he's almost 5 inches long! His coloration went from a dull brown/yellow to a dark black/bright yellow, and he looks wonderful. He's an entertaining guy...very active...very suitable for my community tank. They seem to be somewhat undemanding, and he spends much of his day picking at the plants in the tank, and doing"headstands" searching the floor of the tank for morsels of food. I bought him on a whim....he was interesting, I'd never seen one before...and he turned out to be a great addition to my tank! One word of caution, I've read in several places that they should not be kept with other slow moving fish like Bettas or Angels, as they have a tendency to nip the fins of fish who tend to "hang around" rather than actively swim alot.

Yea mine has nipped every fish so I'm not very fond of him besides as you said he is very active and is constantly searching for food. I got mine fro petsmart as well I don't think they care for them that great if ours literally explode in size so quick lol

Mine hasn't nipped any in my tank, but I have other very active fish. I have a rainbow shark, some buenos aires tetras, Bloodfin tetras, and some serpae tetras in there now. I also have a large tank (60 gallon), which may help with the nipping. Overall he's been a great addition! I named him bumble bee

That's hysterical cuz that's what I named mine hahaha. I keep mine with a bunch of sa cichlids In a 55 but I have a 150 cycling now getting ready for these guys. I just got a fire mouth yesterday and he seems to be settling in good

These do best in a group in a large tank. Think of them as Bigger Tiger Barbs. They aren't related but behavior can be similar. A group of these with other larger fast semi aggressive fish seems best. they are good looking but can get quite nasty as single fish and need room.

Back
Top Bottom