Black Ghost Knifefish parameters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pranicmegan

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a new Black Ghost Knifefish ... had it for 2 weeks so far and so far so good.
He eats well (only live Blackworms though) and seems to have settled in really well.
My question relates to water parameters ... I can't find any info online about what are the best conditions to keep a BGK in.
I have put him in my ph neutral tank, with softish water ... rather than the alkaline African tank with the hard water.
What is their best ph range? Hard or Soft water?
My filters are all cycled and ammonia and nitrates/nitrites are 0.

I want to find out BEFORE I run into any problems with him. Just because he looks good NOW doesnt mean he IS.

I am new at this .... what should Nitrates and Nitrites read? I might be doing it wrong OR my equipment (2nd hand) might be 'off' if this is possible ....
SO ... what would be the best kit to buy to PROPERLY test Nitrates and also Nitrites?

The Tank is definitely cycled ... its 4 months old.... I did 25% water changes bi-weekly at first because I did not know how to use the testing equipment and was worried about ammonia... lol maybe I still dont know how to use em. shoot.
Now I just do 25% weekly changes
I still dont know how to test properly methinks.
Any tips appreciated.

I just retested ..... It's still so low it barely registers on the test strip .....
Nitrates 20ppm
Nitrites .5 ppm

Is that what it is supposed to be?

Test strips are generally not reliable... dunno if you can get it in Aus but a good kit to get is the API Master Freshwater Test kit.

If the strips are right, you couldn't go wrong with a PWC. Nitrites are a little high at .5ppm and nitrates at 20ppm is about as high as it should get. Is ammonia 0ppm?

Uh yep Ammonia tests at 0.
So even .5 is high for Nitrites?

And thanks for the tip for the testing kit. I am currently only using the test kits I got with my 2nd hand tank ..... learning as I go!

Last edited:
when the tank is cycled the ammonia and nitrites will be and should stay at 0. Ammonia and nitrite should be kept at levels under .5ppm for the health.safety of fish, this is controlled with water changes while cycling, then should stay at 0. If/when its cycled the nitrates will continue to rise and should stay under 40ppm with water changes every week or so.

Some of this issue very well may be your test strips, try to get some liquid tests, like the API freshwater master kit.

Thanks .... the tank is now 4 months old .... I did water 25% water changes bi weekly for the first 6 weeks .... thinking it should have cycled by then.
I'm still trying to get the hang of all this. I only do 25% weekly changes now. Should I do more?
WHY would it still be not fully cycled after FOUR months? That seems strange to me ...am I doing something wrong here?
And I WILL get some better testing equipment tomorrow. I want to test for water hardness also.
THANKS!!

The only thing I can see with the info given that would cause it to Not be cycled is. If you replaced the filter media with new.

The bacteria that keep the levels in check grow and populate the filter media(sponge, ect..). So normally you just rinse the dirty filter in old tank water or dechlor water. Running the media under tap water that has chlorine will kill the bacteria. If you just throw it away, you are throwing away the good bacteria.

Normally you can rinse and reuse this media untill its falling apart. Then if you must use a new filter, then put it in along with the old one, or put the old one in the tank for at least 1 week(the longer the better). Then the bacterial should migrate from the old one to the new one and not affect the cycle.

Good luck and post test results with the new test kit

How were you feeding the cycle during those 4 months? A sudden increase in bioload will cause a mini-cycle even in a cycled tank.

As for your ghost knife...one thing I recommend is to take precautions if you ever need to treat for a disease. I've kept ghost knives just fine for several years, but I lost my two week old GN due to a 3 day ich treatmen. What a bummer it was too. He used to eat right out of my hand.

Unless I'm mistaken, I believe the GN is one of those fish that are scaleless. So their protection is pretty slim.

Yes I did make that mistake the first time I cleaned the tank when I first got it (cleaning the filter) (DOH wish I'd researched BEFORE I got it). And possibly within the first 2 weeks or so I did it again.
But that's it. Once I researched enough info, I stopped that promptly and have not done it again, oohhh for at least 2 and a half to 3 months I would think.

I got the new testing kit, and I only had enough money to buy one kit at a time. So I chose the nitrite one, being that that is more toxic and more of a worry right now.
I have done another water change and the nitrite level is looooooow, almost not registering.
Before water change nitrites was 0.5 and nitrates was about 20ppm.
After water change I used my last strip tester for the nitrate ... and it was barely registering too.
Ammonia was 0. Nitrite estimate between 0 - 0.5 (juuust barely perceptible). And nitrate looked to be between the 0 and the 20.

So I'm thinking that now that the nitates seem to be slowly building up (except when I change the water) that means the little friendly bacteria has built up at least a little??
I have been working SO HARD at getting the hang of this!
EVERY day I test the water and do a partial water change.

And I still can't find the parameters for keeping a Black Ghost Knifefish healthy. I am guessing that because it comes from the Americas (I think) it should be neutral to slightly acid water? Soft not hard too?
I have him currently in my South American tank. So far so good.

Yeah I've already found out that info on treatment for disease. And yes he is scaleless. I've already set up a little medical tank just in case I need to treat someone. I have a heater and filter in it now (no fish) just to cycle the filter so its ready when I need it.

I did try to catch the neons to put in it to speed it up. But they are fast little suckers and I'm slow and useless. LOL I even tried doing it in the dark. Nuh. No luck.

I'm real sorry to hear you lost your Ghostfish, they are special aren't they. I already love mine and am doing all I can to find out as much as I can to keep him healthy.
Being a noob makes it all the more harder because I read stuff then have to research what in **** it MEANS! (lol)
I appreciate your tip too!! Just because you read something in an article doesnt mean its necessarily true. That's why I love these forums for feedback because you get peoples REAL experience. What works for them and what doesnt.
APPRECIATED !!!

How were you feeding the cycle during those 4 months? A sudden increase in bioload will cause a mini-cycle even in a cycled tank.

Hmm you might have hit the nail on the head here. **Hangs head in shame**
I tend to over feed. I kill with love apparently.
I have learned my lesson (poor gourami) and am more careful now. But yes I plead guilty to over feeding.
So would this have put my cycle waa-ay out?

And I wasn't aware of that sudden increase in bioload putting even an established cycle out. That's valuable info to have THANKYOU for that.
Can you tell me what an sudden increase in bioload might be? Besides over feeding that is ...
I have a four foot tank. I usually introduce fish in pairs. So 2 new fish at a time.
Is this ok? What number would be a sudden increase?
THANKS!!!

I re-read what you wrote I think I may have misunderstood what you mean the first time. 'Feeding the cycle' do you mean did I have fish in the tank during the cycling? Yes. And waaa-ay too much fish food too. :(

Back
Top Bottom