Bleaching Texas holey Rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Skifflexie

Aquarium Advice Freak
Can I soak Texas holey Rock in bleach? I've been battling black beard algae and it's turned the bright white rock black and I can't even scrub it off with hot water and a tooth brush.

When I worked at Petsmart we soaked our ornaments in a bleach water mix and then scrubbed, rinsed, and soaked in dechlorinated water, rinsed and used again. Would the natural rock soak and leach the bleach?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

No idea of the porosity of Texas holey rock. If you do bleach it, rinse/soak well with water and then soak it in a vinegar solution. Then rinse in water.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Would be interested how you get on. Wasn't sure how you would go making sure it is totally removed from the rock pores.

Yes you can, 1/2-1 cup bleach for a 5 gallon bucket soak for 30 min, rinse extensively, i then would soak it in fresh water with prime disarming it for 10 and then rinse again I mean rinse and rinse and rinse, the vinegar don't sound like a bad idea, that's how my lfs said to do it to keep it pristine white but i personally have not done it but thats how they do theirs.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom