Blind YoYo Botia?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AliSab

Aquarium Advice Activist
I was very excited to pick up some yoyo botia for my planted 30 gallon, and finally got them yesterday. I didn't really get to take a close look at them until today and I've noticed that two of them are missing eyes and one of them has no eyes at all. I can still see the socket so there were definitely peepers there before. Most likely I got them from the store this way, but I was wondering if this was common in yoyo botia.

Definately not common here at all. I've had the odd fish with an eye lost from sparring or attacks from other fish so I'm wondering if the case here. I'd suspect they will do fine but on sheer principle would return them. I've never seen a yoyo attack another yoyo so would assume some other fish. Would have to ask where you got them from.

Disease or parasites could do it but would be pretty low on my list. Just as the damage is so specific.

Hm then it's strange. At the store they were in the tank with other yoyo loaches and danios, and there were only a few left as they were expecting a new shipment this coming Monday. None of the other fish appeared sick in the tank and because they had been there two weeks already I kinda doubt that they have any disease. The store is very good at treating their tanks and not letting people purchase from tanks that are under quarantine.

I'll keep an eye on them for sure, but they seem to be doing okay aside from the totally blind one bumping into plants every now and again.

The angelfish I had with one eye held its own (tended to put blind side against glass) so I'd think loaches would do fine since they seem more social.

They've got tons of personality. A couple of them really seem to enjoy riding the bubbler all the way to the top of the tank and then zipping back down to go again.

Here's one who is only missing one eye, the bit of red is just because of the angle not because of any injury.

Attachments

• IMG_7695.jpg
    IMG_7695.jpg
    220.2 KB · Views: 94
Back
Top Bottom