Boesemani Rainbow questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mikemou

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello~
I'm sure there're millions other threads that covered this, but the search function is not very user-friendly on this site so I'm starting another.

I'd like to add some colors to my new 55 gal. The tank's cycled three weeks ago and currently occupied by 7 zebra danios, 4 guppies, 2 algae eaters and 2 albino tiger barbs. I'm planning to trade in the barbs and start adding new community fishes. Boesemani Rainbow ranks top on my list.

From what I've gathered so far, Boesemani Rainbow seems to be a hardy fish and easy to care for and often recommanded for beginners. However since it's rather pricey compares to all my other fishes, I want to make sure my tank is ready to host one. A potential problem is the PH. I have fairly hard (6-7 drops) and ackline water (7.6?), and I know it's not the ideal environment for it. But I also was told that farm raised fishes are hardier and as long as PH is steady they'll get used to it.

Also some places said it's a schooling fish while elsewhere it's not mentioned so. Is it better to keep more than one? How many? Is it compatibable with other common rainbow spices?

Thanks for your help!

I hope by me posting here and bumping this thread up a bit, you'll get some more replies...I know that there are people here who have Boesemani's. They're a schooling fish as far as I know. And It's important too have some females and males, because even though the male may be prettier than the female, he won't show his good colors without a female around. And as far as I know too, they are very hardy. Should adjust to your ph well, even though they are a low ph fish. I have a few Australian Rainbows, and I love them, and yes, they do school. Ok, hope this helps and that somebody else sees this and helps you out some.

I've got rainbows. I'd definitely advise Boesemani rainbows. They're stunning fish. They're most comfortable with a little bit of shelter (plants), and will most likely be tank raised, since they're threatened in the wild. They should be fine with a pH of 7.6, as this is not too terribly far from their natural slightly acidic pH.

Jon

I started with 4 and I think I have 3 males and 1 female.. I would have liked to have a greater female ratio as the 1 male really tries to get everyones attention and sometimes drives me crazy.

nope not at all.. just taking it nice and slow.. I plan to finish with 6 or so of the bohemians and hope to get 6 or 8 Praecox Rainbow's to finish it off. Oh yeah and I would love to finish with 6 of the Delphax Cories.... :)

So did you get any? I still have my four and they are great. If anyone is ever thinking of getting rainbows.. Do it! :)

Back
Top Bottom