Bottom Feeders for FW Sand Tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GTAce

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey everybody!

First post here, been doing lots of reading...and I finally have a question that I haven't found a good answer for.

I've got a new tank that I'm in the process of fishless cycling right now. It's a 37 gallon with PFS for a substrate.

What do you recommend I use for bottom feeders? I want something that will stir up the sand, preferably enough so that I don't have to do it myself :p

Cories, ottos, MTS's, plecos...I've seen all of these names tossed around, but I'm not really sure which work best with sand.

Thanks!

Everything I have read says MTS's are best for helping to stir the sand with the occassional vacuuming.

my MTS spend most of their time burrowed under the sand that i almost never see them and i sometimes worry that there is something wrong with my tank that i killed them all
my cories also love sand as they push their barbles into the sand in search of food

nothing other then mts will work for that but still you should do it anyways.

what are you going to keep in your tank?

they all have their place though still nothing is going to replace maintenance. like i said mts will mix up the sand but you still need to mix it up your self. cories will eat food off the bottom but still need to be feed. otos will eat some types of algae but also need to be feed. plecos known for algae eating but really not that great some wont touch any of it. again needs to be fed. a tank doesnt have to have bottom feeders. get them because you like them.

if you cant find any MTS local ill ship you some.

Back
Top Bottom