Bought a new danio with gift card

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

patrickriley2010

Aquarium Advice Addict
Okay so I got a 5 dollar off gift cars to petco and I have 3 longfin zebra danio and the petco by me is small and only had regular zebra danio. They are really tiny but I got one just because it was free. Will he be okay in my tank with my other ones who are over twice his size ?

image-1014868111.jpg

Yep, he should be fine. They'll likely chase each other a bit to settle into a pecking order, but due to the size difference it should be obvious to both sides that he's at the bottom of the current hierarchy so they'll settle quickly into their roles in the school.

Yep, he should be fine. They'll likely chase each other a bit to settle into a pecking order, but due to the size difference it should be obvious to both sides that he's at the bottom of the current hierarchy so they'll settle quickly into their roles in the school.

Okay cool thanks !

Should be fine, as long as you don't have any really big fish in there (not the Danios) to eat the small one.

BUT that said, occasionally fish will pick on a smaller fish, and sometimes the newbie will sort of be by itself. If you notice anything like that happening you can net up the others which are causing the trouble, let the newbie swim around for awhile and then add all the old ones back into the tank.

If still problems, you can redecorate the tank and move things around.

That gives all the fish a new place to check out and the territory from the established fish is changed/gone so they all kinda start fresh.

Occasionally it will just take a few days for the new one to become part of the team, you have a pretty small team, and so maybe no problems. The Danios like to have a bunch of buddies to hang with. They will tend to do better too.

Should be fine, as long as you don't have any really big fish in there (not the Danios) to eat the small one.

BUT that said, occasionally fish will pick on a smaller fish, and sometimes the newbie will sort of be by itself. If you notice anything like that happening you can net up the others which are causing the trouble, let the newbie swim around for awhile and then add all the old ones back into the tank.

If still problems, you can redecorate the tank and move things around.

That gives all the fish a new place to check out and the territory from the established fish is changed/gone so they all kinda start fresh.

Occasionally it will just take a few days for the new one to become part of the team, you have a pretty small team, and so maybe no problems. The Danios like to have a bunch of buddies to hang with. They will tend to do better too.

I wish I could just attach a video the little guy appears to be the new leader ! Lol after one of my long fins died 2 of them became mates and the 3rd one was well a 3rd wheel being left behind ! Now they are all following the little guy lol!

Back
Top Bottom