breeding question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CleverBs

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I am getting pretty close to starting my German blue ram and electric blue ram breeding ill have 2x pair gbr and 1x pair of electric blue rams to start with, then after awhile ill have a few more breeding pairs from my breeding. The starting rams will be in my 75 gallon hi-tech planted tank with ro/di water. I then will have tanks set up in my basement that I will be transferring them to that will have the same water parameters as my 75 gallon. I have a 29 gallon tank setup and ready to go however I would like to have a few other tanks to separate them out a bit. What size tanks should I have for this operation. Like a 29gallon, and 2x 20 gallons or should I use a 29, 20, 10. I'm going to use a 10 gallon for my brine shrimp hatchery as well. Let me know what you think.

You only need a few 2Liter bottles for brine shrimp hatching, a 1/4 tsp is plenty for one day of feeding, and bbs lose a lot of their nutrition after the first few hours of being hatched.

BBS is more of an afterthought, though, since you'll have at least a week or so before the fry are big enough to eat them.

One of the problems I had come to mind was what I think was a genetic issue in which the fry, after being transferred to a new tank, would all collect in the upper corners of the tank, almost like they had an air bubble stuck in them.

This happened even when using tank water to fill their transfer tank, so I don't know what the deal was, but it wiped out a lot of my spawns.

I would work on a green water culture, just get a brightly lit window and a few 2L bottles with some dead plant matter and tank water in them and wait a week or so.

As far as growouts go, I prefer using smaller tanks when fry are small, because it's easier to feed them and see exactly what is going on. However when they start getting a little size to them, transferring them to a larger growout tank is great because the water quality stays better for longer.

Wow, cool! I hope it works out for you. I'm new to rams, thought I bought a pair of GBR, but one turned out to be a Bolivian. Had them for about 2 months now and so far so good, I'd love to try breeding, had some success with angels. I found the same thing about the bbs, a couple 2 liters if perfect! GOOD LUCK, will you be selling any of the electric blue? I've been looking for some but am having a hard time even online. (just read this and I'm sorry for the book and kinda going off topic, but anyway...)

Yes I do plan on selling them. I'll post them up when and if I have success with them.I'm thinking I may go 10,20,29 and just use a POP bottle for the bbs

Back
Top Bottom