Brown Algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Promisedsin

Aquarium Advice Regular
Two days ago I noticed brown algae on my tank walls and on the rock that I have in my 10 gallon tank. I recently switched to sand and Ive kept up on the water changes and I don't think that I am over feeding but it has spread quickly. I am wonder what is the easiest way to get rid of the algae and if there are any fish or shrimp that will eat the algae.

Quick fix , black out your aquarium . Turn out the light and wrap the glass in trash bags , so no light is getting in for around 3 days , someone may give you a better answer as to how long to leave it blacked out . In a 10 gal. an otto would be a good choice as they only get around 1.5" .

is it rusty colored and easily comes off almost like it's dust? that's normal if so. its called diatoms and they feed off silicates. they'll go away after a while. i think i've heard that ottos will eat diatoms, but imo, you shouldnt get them just for that as it will eventually go away on its own (i have a problem with getting fish to eat algae or snails just for that reason... you should buy fish because you want them ;))

Are there snails that will eat diatoms? I am looking to get snails for my ranks anyway, might as well get ones that will help out alittle.

I had brown algae in my tank for a few weeks after I set it up. It came on REALLY fast, and covered both of the sides of the tank (I kept the front clean). I cleaned all of it off once or twice, and eventually it just didn't grow that much anymore. I'll get a spot here and there on my glass, but nothing that bothers me, so I don't worry about it.

I constantly have to battle brown algae, and my tank is about 8 months old. It used to be really really bad, to the point that after a week it would cover the substrate. Now, it's only a few patches here and there, but it still comes. Luckily though, it comes off very easily.

In a healthy tank, diatoms will generally spike, then wane. The only place I see them in my tanks are in the filters where the otos can't reach them. My otos absolutely love diatoms.

Mine seem to be on my driftwood and in my java moss. I dont mind it so much on my driftwood, I just vac it up. The java moss is harder to clean.

Mine seems to be more just on the rocks in my tank now. Sometimes my rainbow shark will eat it but not alot.

I blacked out the aquarium as you suggested for 3 days and when i removed the bags my plants looked unhealthy and puffer fish's eye looks to have an infection and the algae is worse than ever. The algae has completely taken over my plants. There is green fuzzy algae on all of my plants and tiny white little puffs are now all over my glass along with the brown algae.

This is what the white algae looks like

img_1106880_0_ce72f0e01ea3e081bc61e7787c6c65e9.png

This is the puffers eye

img_1106880_1_4815c53b1d97aac1464490a8ea36b1ae.png

Back
Top Bottom