brown algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wannalearn

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi - I am new; this is my first post. My 55 gallon freshwater aquarium has a lot of what i think is brown algae. I do a 10 % water change weekly, but my tank still looks "dirty." The water is a little cloudy. I have 10 black skirt tetras and a plecostomus (just added the pleco Thursday 4/20).
Any other info you need to help with my problem?

The thing is, this is not a new set-up. The tank has been here about 8 years. I "inherited" it from a former employee who really is an "expert". He left about 5 or 6 years ago. The tank was set up as a beautifully planted aquarium. He didn't leave any detailed instructions for taking care of it, just told me it was "easy." Well, it wasn't. I eventually ended up pulling all the live plants and replacing them with artificial. Then the substrate was really dirty with all kinds of decayed plant material, so I replaced that. Unfortunately, I didn't rinse the new gravel well enough and I lost most of my fish. Now I have just tetras and the pleco but I still think it doesn't look good. I had 2 previous plecos (at different times) that starved. I had them a couple of weeks and they just got thinner until they died. I tried veggies and algae wafers, but they wouldn't eat. The guy at PetSmart (where I got the fish) said my temp was too low. So I turned it up to 78. I don't want this pleco, or any other fish to die.

New gravel and fish. I added 2 small plants at the advice of the aquarium guy at petsmart.

I suspect the gravel. An abundance of new silicates. Or your phosphates and nitrates could be high? New food for the new fish ? Check the label to see if it is phosphate free.

Look up Diatoms for pics and tactics. I always feel bad if it is someone's source water. But since yours has just started I think it's the gravel or the food feeding the Diatoms.

Bulbs or leds? Many believe a kelvin decrease can be a trigger

Thanks for your replies! (BTW, I don't have Internet at home and can't get on-line everyday at work, so it might take me a couple of days to reply)
I have 6500K bulbs, but have not replaced them for a few years. I know they degrade after a while; I will replace them. If the new gravel caused the silicates, how do I correct that? The fish food label does not say phosphate free. One of the ingredients listed is L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate with a "C" in parentheses. That is probably the source of vitamin C in the food; I know ascorbic acid is vitamin C. The food is New Life Spectrum Community Fish Formula. Should I change brands?
I really appreciate everyone's help!

Phosphates dont cause algae. Silicate are usually issue with diatoms.

I suspect the gravel. An abundance of new silicates. Or your phosphates and nitrates could be high? New food for the new fish ? Check the label to see if it is phosphate free.

Look up Diatoms for pics and tactics. I always feel bad if it is someone's source water. But since yours has just started I think it's the gravel or the food feeding the Diatoms.

Can you tell me what I should be looking for with "diatoms and tactics?" Could diatoms cause problems. Isn't diatomaceous (sp?) earth used in filters sometimes?

Back
Top Bottom