Brown Algae Problem...SMALL TANK

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gordinho80

Aquarium Advice Freak
hello all, been a while since i've posted, been busy with work...

anyways, i have a 2.5 gallon tank on my desk at work, I have it filterred with an AC Mini...lots of filtration for such a small tank...the problem i am facing is brown algae...tank has been setup for about 2 months now and the entire tank has brown algae all over the walls and gravel...

there is only a male beta in the tank...how can i keep it clean? will snails help? if so, what kind?

thanks...
Mario

what about something that wont mind being in a 2 gal tank? saw that the otocinclus catfish requires 30...27.5 more than what i have...

thanks...

otos? no..... I have 2 doing fine in a 10 gallon, just wish they would eat more they are getting replaced by a BN pleco.

Mario, otocinculus cats get to a maximum length of 1-2 inches. I think 2 would be fine in your 2.5 gallon tank, but that's just my opinion. Nothing else will eat your diatoms, so you could either wait for them to die out on their own (which they will likely to anyways) or scrub them away. Either way works.

HTH

Otos need 30 gallons if it is to be their permanent residence if you are not going to supplement their diet. You could put them in with your betta and feed after the diatoms are gone, or move them to another tank once they have cleaned up (Maybe the upcoming angel/ram tank?).

I also have a 2.5 gal betta tank at work used to get alot of brown algae. I just wipe it off by hand when I do a water change. The good news is that it seems to grow less ans less after a few months.

I've heard many say they don't, but I've had 3 mystery snails chow down on brown diatoms on seperate occasions. My 10 gallon likes to accumulate the stuff once in a while so I drop in a snail for a week or so and it all goes poof within a few days.

Plus they make really cool zig zaggy tracks through it in the middle of the night. Usually gone in a day or so.

Back
Top Bottom