Buenos Aires Tetra

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

celticfan

Aquarium Advice Activist
Does anyone else have any of these?

I have 4 and was wondering if its normal for them to bump into each other and then chase each other. I always watch mine and they use their heads to bump into each other then swim behind the plants then other ones go round the other way and bump into them at that side and it goes on for ages they seem to chase each other about round the plants. Very funny fish and they go nuts when I feed them.

Or is that unusual behaviour and should I get another two to add them up to 6 as ive read they like to be kept with 6 or preferably more.

I read too they can be agressive to other fish but ive never seen them bother the others the platies are happy to swim near the top, the cory does its own thing at the bottom and the scissortails are like their parents often swimming next to them but never getting involved in their bumping into each other game/fighting.

Sounds like they are fighting for dominance in the school (Or a so called pecking order). And yes, they do do better in schools of 6 or more. Glad that yours arent causing a problem.

If they're not damaging one another, I'd call it normal boisterous behavior. They may be establishing dominance, but I don't think I'd call it fighting. My rainbows do the same kind of thing.

Back
Top Bottom