built-in overflows on drilled tanks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dax29

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm planning on getting a drilled 180 gallon tank that has built-in overflow boxes. There are 2 holes drilled in the bottom of the tank in each overflow. The drilled holes are of different sizes. Why are there 2 sets of drilled overflows? Does that mean I need to run 2 different filtration systems? Should I run 2 sumps? I assumed the two different sized holes were for intake and output? I'm sure there is a very simple explanation for this, but I'm new and I question everything I see.

Yes, the two different sized holes are for intake and output. The one you called output is called the drain pipe and is the larger hole. Obviously the drain pipe takes the water to your sump. You only need one sump that both drain pipes will lead too. And the bigger the sump the better. The plumbing from your ONE pump will split and lead back to both return pipes. So take your trip to home depot and start buying PVC pipe. :D
The larger tanks will always have two overflow boxes. I think All-Glass tanks add two with any tank over 75 gallons. Mine is a 55 so I only have one box.
The really cool thing about overflow boxes is that you can use it to connect multiple tanks and make it one system. Assuming you want to do that. I do :mrgreen:

It does help! Thanks. I think I'm going pre-drilled b/c it seems easier and safer than overflows.

easier.. I wouldnt think either is that hard..
safer.. well that depends on how well you the overflow box system is installed.. HTH
btw.. I plan I using an overflow box on my 75 when I set it up.. If that matters.. :biglol:

Well I have plenty of time before I make a move so I may wait and see what your set-up looks like. Soooooooo many people have recommended the drilled tank with overflows. What is the big advantage of the drilled tank with overflows?

the only thing that pops in my head is permanence.. It would be nice.. if it wasnt so much more expensive.. being "reef ready" is why I think the things have such a high markup.. the holes can be drilled for little to nothing.. and the overflow boxes are not that expensive either.. I just dont understand the added cost.. I like value for my money.. and IF I had an internal overflow box.. well I probably put it there myself.. I almost feel like its tank mutilation though.. if your not interested in having a internal overflow later.. it just takes up valuable space.. that and they take up that same valuable space when a syphon overflow box or more then one.. is an option..

I forgot to add that the above post is JMHO.. Im sure others could give an agument against my points..
Im just currious what those arguments would be and if there are any takers on it.. :?: :?: :?:

Here's one argument someone posted on the cichlid forum in response to one of my questions.

"Let's get back to the basics. If you're gonna run a sump, and have a choice, get a drilled tank. External overflows are more tempermental and generally used when a sump is an afterthought to a completed system."

I guess it is more of a statement than an argument. I'm starting to swing back towards the external overflow again. I might get a CPR external overflow and a media box from aquacrylics and use my 29 gallon as the sump. Get a 1200 gph overflow box and a 1200 gph pump and I should be in business. Add my Penguin 350 Biowheel on the back of the tank and put an Aquaclear 200 on the sump. That should be adequate shouldn't it. Wouldn't cost as much either and I'd have enough filtration I think. I may place the whole 29 gallon tank in a larger Rubbermaid container in case of an overflow. It will all be in the cabinet anyway.

tempermental? hmm.. I guess that is a pretty strong agument/statement. :biglol:
"generaly used.... an afterthought" .. thats my point I use forthought not to block up gallons of my display tank with internal overflows... :roll:
the CPR's come with a venturi powerhead? I know there syphon has the airline adapter already installed.. if not it would be easy enough to run it to a venturi power head.. :p
for some reason I think a 29 gallon would look teeny tiny under your big tank.. maybe you will find a deal on a old, scratched up 55 gallon before then.. some LFS sell there scratched up old display tanks for cheap.. I would check into that.. :p

Thanks gmaji. I've been thinking of the bigger sump. I need to use the 29 for a QT anyway. I need to look more into the venturi powerhead thing.

Back
Top Bottom