Butterfly Loach (aka Hill Stream Loach)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks Moose. It spends much of its time near the HOB outtake. I'm guessing it's a juvie based on size, but have also read that Hillstreams don't exhibit growth in home aquariums :/ I don't kno if he's happy or survivng. I'll observe longer and will move if it seems appropriate. What you've experienced with behavior and age is interesting.

ya when mine started to change its habits I was concerned and expecting that it was stressed or not well but it has changed for the better.. Now it is move active and sits on top of a flower pot and acts like it owns the tank.. haha

Typed to soon... After 15 months my Hillstream loach is no longer with me.. RIP

Hope no one minds more shared info moving forward.

After three weeks in the ~140gph one-way 8g Hillstream is more active, spending more time at the bottom. It hangs out with the kuhlii loaches but doesn't seem interested in other fish (otocinclus, barbs) or shrimp. I have seen it quickly glide across the tank then hit glass many times, and its clear more space is needed. I only saw a hopping motion and no interaction in the 200gph HOB 20long. I'm not sure how I'll fix the problem yet. :?

Side note: Favorite LFS stopped selling Hillstreams over a month ago because of higher mortality than sales. No more otos there either :(

RIP 11/14/05. ~8 months in a high current river tank. Had been hiding lately. Later, Hillie.

Srry for ur loss but all the experience that I had with butterfly loaches was WAY back when I didn't know about AA but I had 4 in a 37 galwith some pictus cats and some other big fish that don't belong there(I AM A HORRIBLE FISH KEEPER :cry: ).But I moved one with a betta with out no heater nor filter and it survived pretty long. The tank was bare and there was nothing in it, untill the day my betta killed it, so my hypothesis is that maybe your other fish were harassing the hill-stream loach?

Back
Top Bottom