Butterfly Loaches?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ManInAHat73

Aquarium Advice Activist
Does anyone have any experience with Butterfly Loaches? I've been researching them for my 55G. I plan to use them instead of my clown pleco and keep him in my 10G for now. Are they easy to take care of? Any problems with them?

Would I be able to deep these fish in my 55G? The temp is going to be around 78 degrees.

I have a couple .... 78 is OK (that's what my tank is at.) They need very high O2 level, so as long as you have that (highly agitated surface, high current through an oxygenating area - like a wet dry) they should do well.

They can only live in a well established tank, with a mature biofilm. They don't eat fish food or veggies, they live off of critters that is living on your glass or decorations. So they will starve in a brand new tank.

Mine tend to hide most of the time, but I do see them from time to time.

I think I'll wait until I start a coldwater tank to get some. That's going to be a while, but oh well.

Yes, they do better in a high current tank. I plan on making myself a 20g river tank set up to breed these little guys. Fun to watch, and REALLY fast.

Back
Top Bottom