buying used tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AgilityIG

Aquarium Advice Activist
I currently have a 20 gallon tank, but want to upgrade to a 55 gallon. I have been watching craigslist and have found a few for a good price. Most of them were sold before I got to them. Today, I bought a stand for a 55 gallon that is nice and in good shape for $50. The lady had a lot of "animal stuff" and I asked if she had the tank that was on the stand. She had two 55s and was selling them both for $65 (or one for $40). They were 10 years old and she had been using them for turtles. One tank had small mirrors glued to the inside of the tank (she said she had used Elmer's glue to do this) and a bunch of poo, but overall the tank was in good shape. I found a small crack in the other tank. I passed on both tanks. I was concerned about the glue residue and unknown turtle "stuff" in the first one and the crack in the second one.

So... since I am looking at used tanks - is it safe to buy tanks that have been used for turtles, lizzards, etc...? And what about people that have put "stuff" in their tanks with glue or chemicals? I was concerned about the future health of the fish that would be in the tank. I also wasn't sure about the seams of the tanks since they had been dry for ten years and not under water.

How do you all evaluate used tanks if they were not used for fish?

Before I picked up my stand, I was at Stuff, Etc. and they had a 70 gallon salt water set up (looked like stand, tank, lid/light, and maybe a canister filter?) for $324. It was tempting...

I would make sure that it is an aquarium not a terrarium. Terrarium glas is thinner than aquarium and cant hold the pressure of the water weight.

Ah... good point - this is why I ask YOU GUYS!! I think both of these were aquariums. They both still had the sticker on the bottom about tempered glass. Is there any specific way to tell the difference?

6mm base and 5mm vertical. Grab a micrometer, thats the only way I know of, I am sure someone has an easier way.

the terrariums i've seen just looked flimsy and the seals around the corners didnt look like aquarium seals. of course the thickness of the glass will be different and you'll be able to tell a noticeable difference in them. I refuse to buy a tank that's had reptiles or furry friends in it. If they say its had anything but fish, i dont get it. If its set up and not leaking, i usually just clean it out good and set it up. If it wasnt set up, i re-seal it. The cheapest tanks are the ones that the seals leak on. A tube of silicone is just a few bucks and you've got a nice new seal that you'll know wont leak (if you do it right ;))... Thats just how i do it at least

best bet would be to find one set up already you can check out so you know its good then take down. i have bought a ton of tanks used what i look for is A good deal B i tend to stay away from reptile tanks.

Thanks guys - I am glad I didn't buy either one of these tanks even though it would have been a really good deal. The stand was a great buy, so I'll just keep searching for a tank.

when I get a used tank I take the silicone off the inside and re-silicone the seams(but you don't want to separate the glass you have to take your time to clean the old glue off) the glass you can always clean but sometimes the silicone can hold nasty stuff... if you can silicone your bathroom you can silicone the inside of the tank(again you want to be careful that when you are taking the old silicone off that you don't break the seal between the 2 pieces of glass, basically just the stuff you can touch with your hand)

you will find a really good deal on CL just keep at it like a few times a day. If you can get an acrylic one youll be happy, but there are certain 55's that people buy, have them for a few months and didnt realize how much work tanks can be and want to sell it right away, then you basically get a new one for a used price.

I posted my own "wanted" ad on CL and have had a few replies - just have to sort through them - I had a girl that thought her 29 gallon was a 55 gallon. LOL. I have one right now that wants to sell the stand/tank together but the tank is VERY dirty with what looks like alge. How hard is that to clean off a tank?

glass or acrylic?...Glass is easy and hard to scratch (still possible though so be careful) acrylic... that's a tough one....

it's a glass tank, but I think he's asking a bit much for it (especially as dirty as it is - COVERED in alge). It comes with stand/canopy for $150, but I don't really like the stand/canopy and I already have a stand. I'll keep searching, but at least now I know that I could clean up a dirty glass tank if needed.

I bought two of my tanks used online. One is the 100gal acrylic and the other is a 36gal acrylic. All 3 of my tanks are acrylic...don't trust glass living in earthquake country and all.

searching for things on CL can be an adventure... I had a guy respond to my "55 gallon tank wanted" ad on CL. I went to his place tonight and his tank that was "no cracks or leaks... got from a brother in law that sets up tanks for people" was sitting on top of a bunch of junk in a garage, covered with bits of tape everywhere and was missing the cross brace in the middle. Hmmm... I think I'll pass on this one. LOL. I have a lead on another one that I am going to see on Friday.

Just be patient when looking at tanks on CL. Found a real nice acrylic tank and stand very cheap, just took a lot of patience. I just wrote down what I wanted and tried to compromise as little as possible. If you live in a metro area it's not bad at all.

Back
Top Bottom