Calling all crayfish owners...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

severum mama

Aquarium Advice Addict
How often do you guys feed your crayfish? I'm feeding mine once a day (at night actually), either an Omega One algae wafer or 1-2 Omega One shrimp pellets. Is that too much? Should I break the wafer in half and/or only feed 1 shrimp pellet at a time? The reason I ask is because I did a pwc in my 10 gal cray tank today and I noticed that the gravel vac sucked up a couple of little brown lumps with what looked like fuzzy white mold growing on them. Is this uneaten food, or crayfish poop? I couldn't tell because they kind of looked like they could be leftover shrimp pellets. It's never happened to me in any other tanks. My crayfish literally attacks his food at every feeding so I didn't think I was overfeeding, but seeing that today made me wonder about it. :?

Also, could you guys recommend other foods that my crayfish would like? TIA! :D

you can feed as many times as you like
but beware crayfish produce ALOT of waste (goldfish/pleco amounts)

another interesting fact is that crayfish can go weeks without food.

either an Omega One algae wafer or 1-2 Omega One shrimp pellets. Is that too much?
No, its perfect

Should I break the wafer in half and/or only feed 1 shrimp pellet at a time?

you don't have to. Crayfish have claws and sharp teeth

cray tank today and I noticed that the gravel vac sucked up a couple of little brown lumps with what looked like fuzzy white mold growing on them. Is this uneaten food, or crayfish poop? I

that's crayfish poo

Also, could you guys recommend other foods that my crayfish would like?

they eat anything and everyting - my crayfish was eating filter floss and my suction cups 8O 8O

I agree that the amounts you're feeding are OK. Crays also love veggies like carrots, limabeans, and peas. Also, like BubbleBoy says, it won't hurt your crayfish to go without a meal now and then.

I noticed that my crayfish would drag food into his cave, where the uneaten portion would fester. Once a week, you should do a gravel vac, and remove any uneaten food from wherever your cray happens to hide it. In my case, I had to rearrange the rocks every week and check the nooks and crannies for decaying food.

Thanks everyone! :D We do a gravel vac with every water change. Now that I am past the lifting restriction and the accident that totaled my car, I am getting back on the once per week schedule. :roll: I will be sure to check around for uneaten food, and definitely remove anything fuzzy. :lol: It shouldn't be too hard- the only hiding spot is the clay pot that he's claimed.

How often do crayfish molt? I've had mine for probably about 6 weeks now and I'm looking forward to seeing it. :D

How often do crayfish molt?

Never seen it, but i've had full shells, claws, legs the lot left behind in the tank after one shed his skin. Be a great sight i think. but mine were every 2-3 months.
i think it can vary.

btw chicken feed pellets are crayfish pellets so it's a cheaper and just as good alternative to what you are feeding already.
One pellet a night I found is heaps.
hope this helps.

Matt.

DeFeKt said:
How often do crayfish molt?

when I first got my crayfish - it was a baby (2inches)
At this age - he molted every 2 months.
when they molt - leave the the dead skin in the tank (they will EAT IT)

but as he got bigger - 4inches.
he molted less and less
maybe twice a year.

Yes, I know they eat the molt and plan to leave it in the tank. :D My crayfish is about 4 inches now so I guess he may not molt for a while.

severum mama said:
Yes, I know they eat the molt and plan to leave it in the tank. :D My crayfish is about 4 inches now so I guess he may not molt for a while.

unless you overfeed - and it will grow and grow (outgrowing his shell)
:wink:

Back
Top Bottom