Can a specific type of slime/algae produce bubbles?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scarf

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi,

I'm just asking abt my 3g betta tank. At times, sometimes a slimy substance builds up on the walls of my tank, on my silk plant, and even on the surface of the water line. I'm guessing it's prolly due to indirect sunlight (the tank is on the window sill, but the blinds in his area are closed 24/7, with only indirect sunlight getting through).

I'm wondering, is there a type of algae/slime that can produce bubbles? Or could it just be him and his bubblenest? (I used to have the tank filtered and he didn't/couldn't build nests then, but since the filter took up so much of his room and caused a current, I've opted to take it out and do 100% water changes)

Thanks in advance

Algae do photosynthesis too and produce oxygen (bubbles).
Algae doesn't need much light, nutrients, it can grow in pretty much everything.

Bettas will produce bubble nests at the top of the water. Is that what you are seeing? If you are seeing slime, it is probably algae. Does it have a color?

if the algae forms a sheet/blanket, and air bubles are trapped underneath...that sounds like cyanobacteria, a.k.a. blue-green algae (but not a true algae). It would have a rather pungent aroma when removed from the tank and smelled.

Thanks. I think it may be cyano; as malkore said, it looks like the bubbles are prolly under that top sheet of algae. When the algae collects into a blob (when I clean it), it is a dark green colour.

Hmm.. what should I be doing about this problem? I actually have nothing connected to this tank except for a heater now. I've removed the filter, and rely on my roomlight as a source for light as the only thing I have in there alive is the betta and the java moss. From memory, should I be doing a total blackout of the tank or something like that to try and fix the problem?

THanks

cayno in a tank with some plants usually comes around when there has been a extended period of NO3 being at zero..
If you dont have a plant in the bowl. It might be due to the indirect sunlight and or possibly some excess nutrients. HTH

Back
Top Bottom