Can anyone identify these weird things???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kimbo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
These have appeared in my tank in the last 24hrs. I have some snails that appeared when I introduced live plants.....could they be snail eggs??

ForumRunner_20130616_133046.jpg

ForumRunner_20130616_133056.jpg

I have 7 of these snails......at the moment!! Can anyone tell me what they are and any tips on what to feed them/or what to do with them!!! (Sorry for bad photo...but they're quite small)

ForumRunner_20130616_133353.jpg

I had pond snails before and their eggs looks just like that. Clear, gooey, and a lot

Edit: a clear gooey clump of eggs.

From what I can tell and I'm not 100% sure (I'd say 99%). It looks like snail eggs and a pond snail. I would destroy the egg sacks and get rid of the snails. They are considered pests and will multiply like crazy and can damage your plants. If you have a loach they will most likely eat them if not I suggest manually removing when you see them

Yup, pond snails. They're essentially harmless to plants and do a good job of cleaning up decaying plant matter but will multiply very quickly if they have a steady food stream (such as leftover fish food).

Yup, pond snails. They're essentially harmless to plants and do a good job of cleaning up decaying plant matter but will multiply very quickly if they have a steady food stream (such as leftover fish food).

I was under the impression pond snails can and do often eat the plant leaves

I believe they only eat dead/decaying plant matter. So I guess they might eat plants that aren't doing well and have deficiencies but as long as the plant is healthy the snails will leave it alone.

I'm completely new to fish-keeping so thanks for the advice. I only have 2 frogs and 4 neon tetras in a 60l tank. What do you think would be the next best fish to get?
My local shop does free water testing. It was last done 2 days ago and all is well.

I'm completely new to fish-keeping so thanks for the advice. I only have 2 frogs and 4 neon tetras in a 60l tank. What do you think would be the next best fish to get?
My local shop does free water testing. It was last done 2 days ago and all is well.
Hi, I'm new to fish myself. I think some ghost shrimp might be nice. They scoot around my tank eating leftover flakes and detritus. I would suggest getting an API master test kit. It's helpful to check parameters to make sure ammonia and nitrites don't get out of hand. As far as fish go, I would get a couple more tetras. They seem to school better with buddies. You can also go to aqadvisor.com and check out their stocking calculator. It's good as far as guidelines go. If you have plants, you can stock a little more fish than the site says, but you have to be careful not to overwhelm your tank with too many fish added at once.

Welcome to fish keeping! from a fellow newbie. We'll all learn together! This site has been great for that; most everyone is helpful and friendly.

So a 60l tank is about 15 gallons I believe. I agree with a few more tetras to school. I also think something like a dwarf gourami or a Bolivia ram would do great also. (German blue rams are very delicate and hard to keep, I actually prefer my Bolivian they have personality). Maybe some red cherry shrimp will also do great cleaning up but unlike the ghost shrimp if your water is good they will breed.

What type of frogs?

+1 on the API master test really worth being able to test your water quality yourself

azmodan said:
I believe they only eat dead/decaying plant matter. So I guess they might eat plants that aren't doing well and have deficiencies but as long as the plant is healthy the snails will leave it alone.

Agreed! Pond snails as well as ramshorns don't bother healthy plants. I have aquired many "pest" snails over the years and I just don't get why people kill them. They do an excellent job of keeping things clean and to control the population just make sure you are not overfeeding as they also feed on uneaten fish food :)

I'll keep an eye on the snails.....see how quickly they multiply!!
I've got 2 African Dwarf Frogs....having a few troubles working out whether they're eating enough tho. I give them thawed blood worms twice a week but the fish seem to get to them first....is there a way I could feed them to make sure they get their fair share??

So a 60l tank is about 15 gallons I believe. I agree with a few more tetras to school. I also think something like a dwarf gourami or a Bolivia ram would do great also. (German blue rams are very delicate and hard to keep, I actually prefer my Bolivian they have personality). Maybe some red cherry shrimp will also do great cleaning up but unlike the ghost shrimp if your water is good they will breed.

What type of frogs?

+1 on the API master test really worth being able to test your water quality yourself

I've looked at cherry shrimp....I love their colouring. ...will the frogs be tempted to munch on them??

Back
Top Bottom