Can Fritz complete kill my fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pettygil

Aquarium Advice FINatic
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00G7RH1R...&amp=&crid=33ZYYA8LWCNRF&sprefix=fritz+c&th=1
Can Fritz complete kill my fish? I noticed when I used some Fritz, that some of My fish died. However, I am not sure if fritz killed my fish, or not, or if it's just a Condescendence, has happened to me at least 3 times already. I put Fritz in and the next day dead fish. Smells bad to, like a bad fart. . :lol: I used 2 cap fulls for my 20 gallon tank. And one capful for my smaller tanks.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00G7RH1R...&amp=&crid=33ZYYA8LWCNRF&sprefix=fritz+c&th=1
Can Fritz complete kill my fish? I noticed when I used some Fritz, that some of My fish died. However, I am not sure if fritz killed my fish, or not, or if it's just a Condescendence, has happened to me at least 3 times already. I put Fritz in and the next day dead fish. Smells bad to, like a bad fart. . :lol: I used 2 cap fulls for my 20 gallon tank. And one capful for my smaller tanks.

If it killed fish, it would kill all of them and not just one. :whistle:
You would have to quintuple the dosage to overdose it and yes, it has a sulfur smell to it when it's good. (y)

Thank you.

If it killed fish, it would kill all of them and not just one. :whistle:
You would have to quintuple the dosage to overdose it and yes, it has a sulfur smell to it when it's good. (y)

My bottle of Fritz must be brand new, cause it sure is smelly. :D I wounder if my fish like the smell. or not. Well as long as it works, then I can't complain. Prime has the same smelly scent as Fritz does. :cool::whistle::fish2:

Some dechlorinators use a sulpha based chemical to neutralise chlorine/ chloramine. This is why you get the rotten egg smell from them. They should not harm fish but the fact you are losing fish after a water change might suggest there is an issue with the water supply. If you have chloramine in the tap water, you nomally use a double dose of dechlorinator to neutralise the chloramine. You use a single dose for chlorine. However, some water companies add more than the recommended amount of chlorine/ chloramine and you need more dechlorinator to neutralise it all.

Tap water that contains chloramine often contains ammonia. Chloramine is a mixture of chlorine and ammonia and if the water company doesn't get the ratios right, you can end up with lots of free ammonia in the tap water. When you do a water change, this ammonia ends up in the aquarium and can poison fish.

Tap water that contains chlorine or chloramine should be treated so all the chlorine or chloramine has been neutralised before the water is put into an aquarium containing livestock (fish, shrimp, snails, etc). If you add chlorinated tap water to an aquarium and then add a dechlorinator to the tank, the fish and other inhabitants can be exposed to chlorine/ chloramine before it is neutralised and they die. Some fish might not be exposed to high levels and will be less affected. Other fish might swim straight into the chlorinated water and die shortly afterwards (a few minutes to a day after exposure).

You need to contact your water supply company via telephone or website and find out what is in the tap water. Their website should have a water analysis report and that will tell you what is in the water. If you can't make sense of the report, post a copy here and we can go through it for you.

You should also check your tap water for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH. If you have ammonia, nitrite or nitrate in the tap water, that could kill the fish. It's a good idea to test for these things before each water change (or at least once a month) because the water can sometimes change, and water companies do not need to inform their customers of changes to the water source.

Back
Top Bottom