Can I get a snail suggestion?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

glassbird

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi!
I would like ONE large snail for my 75 gallon freshwater tank. It houses 3 medium to large fancy goldfish, with plastic plants, and gravel on the bottom. I would like a snail, but just ONE...I do not want babies, even if they are edible to my goldfish. Ideally, this snail would have a shell in the lighter color ranges...gold or white would be nice, for visibility. Also, it needs to NOT be prone to leaving the tank...ever. My roommate would freak, and then the cats would try to eat it.

So, suggestions? Pictures and links would be helpful too.

Thanks!
Cathy T.

apple snail aka brig. in a 75 gallon tank its the only one where it would get to a good size that you can see. they come in so many colors its just many lfs or chain stores have very limited selection if they do in fact have them.

Apple snails have gener and need two to reproduce, so if you get one you know it will not produce more. However they can get quite large.

Large would be good...I think. How large are we talking here? Knowing that having only one will result in no babies is perfect. Just what I was hoping for. Sounds like I have something to research now!

Thank you very much!
Cathy T.

Most pet store will be able to get you a nice gold, white, blue or even purple apple snail. I have not had mine (a brown and a dark purple) long but I know they can get about golf-ball size after a few years. Here are mine, I got them a month or so ago and really like them--I have ordered a blue and a magenta to add to the family :)

img_987031_0_96157783545630a17f28038ad49ab947.jpg

img_987031_1_e3dee77faf03e638517ca7c64f2da51a.jpg

Mystery...

You have 4? Do you get babies, or have you managed to get all four of the same gender? How? Is it possible to order them by color AND gender? I would be interested in getting more than one, since they come in interesting colors...I just don't want any snail shenanigans going on in my house!

I will be checking out the apple snail website in a minute here. One more question...any suggestions on a good place to order an apple snail (or 2) online? My LFS has no clue about snails...

Cathy T.

good thing with apple snails is they lay above the water line so if you check your tank once a week you could just remove any egg sacks. i have some for $2 each if you want.... pm me.

You can work out the sex of the larger ones, but it is a bit tricky. So far I seem to have all males but it was mainly a matter of luck. However you don't get "accidental" babies. As mgamer said, they lay obvious eggs above the water line. You can remove them or knock them into the water and they won't hatch.

Back
Top Bottom