Can i use river algae?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Diego21

Aquarium Advice Regular
Was wondering if I can take a rock covered in green algae from a river bed and put it in my tank? I really like the look of green algae but all I have is brown algae growing? Would that be safe for my tank?

I wouldn't not so much about the algae growth but whether the tank is suitable for the aquarium and what it could bring into the water with it.

The brown stuff is diatoms.

You could take some aquarium safe rocks, toss them in a container of tank water and set it in your window sil it will grow algae pretty quick and is safe this way though it may not grow much in your tank if you don't have enough light to support it.

tamtam said:
I wouldn't not so much about the algae growth but whether the tank is suitable for the aquarium and what it could bring into the water with it.

The brown stuff is diatoms.

You could take some aquarium safe rocks, toss them in a container of tank water and set it in your window sil it will grow algae pretty quick and is safe this way though it may not grow much in your tank if you don't have enough light to support it.

Great, thanks, I will try that, if the brown algae are diatoms, will it ever go away? My parameters are near perfect but I still have the algae. My tank has been established for about 7 months now. If I do put green algae in the tank, will it kill the brown algae?

Great, thanks, I will try that, if the brown algae are diatoms, will it ever go away? My parameters are near perfect but I still have the algae. My tank has been established for about 7 months now. If I do put green algae in the tank, will it kill the brown algae?

It depends. If your water supply is higher in silicates I think it makes it easier for the growth of diatoms. Or if you have higher nitrates, phosphates... and other things I'm sure I'm forgetting. It really varies on what is in your water, it may promote the growth of them as well as lighting. How long do you keep your lights on all day? Or is it in direct sunlight. I'm guessing it's probably something in your water over sunlight as you'd probably have a good growth of algae too.

Sometimes it will "cure" itself over time other times intervention is needed if it really bugs you. It's not really bad for your tank, though pretty unsightly. It wipes of easily so you can just clean it off with regular water changes. I have both diatoms and green algae in my tank. The Diatoms grow on the back wall, mostly near my filter intake and algae seems to be heaviest where there is direct sunlight. I just clean off both. If your water is the issue and it really bugs you you could mix RO water with your regular water for water changes to remove some of the minerals that may aid growth.

I doubt the algae will beat out the diatoms but I have heard of plants helping reduce growth, because they will use up minerals in the water as well. I think green algae will use up some different minerals than diatoms so I don't think that would wipe it out by any means.

I just wipe any growth I have off weekly or by weekly when I do my water changes from the tank walls and I just clean it off my decor last night with a quick scrub with a tooth brush in old tank water. This is the first time I've done the decor in a few months but it only took a min or 2 as it doesn't really stick to surfaces well.

If your tank big enough for any algae eaters? Some prefer diatoms over algae, your tank wouldn't probably have enough to support it alone but it may be an option you'd like

Ottos work well for diatoms, if your tank is large enough for additional fish. When the diatoms are gone you will need to suppliment the ottos feed with algae wafers, and zuucchini slices. Ottos do best in groups.

Back
Top Bottom