Can Stress lead to Shimmy ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sprank1

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I recently had to move all my mollies from one tank to another while setting up their new home. They seemed ok, but today when I finaly introduced them to their new tank, one of them seems to be "shimmy'ing". Could this be just from all the stress of being moved from tank to tank and the new surroundings. She seemed fine before the move and the rest of them all took the move much better it seems. She is very alert and comes swimming to the front of the tank when I approach, so she doesn't seem to be sick.

I would rather not use any kinds of meds or anything, since she doesn't seem sick. I am hoping it is just a little stress from the move and will wait a few days.

Does that sound like a good plan? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

i have a cichlid that has been shimmimg for a while....he eats good and is very active i have never treated him with anything...id just keep an eye on him and ur other fish and he he starts to get sick move him out

What are your water parameters in the new tank? Did you cycle it before moving the mollies? He could be shimmying as a result of poor water parameters.

It sounds like it could be stress. As Zagz suggested, water quality can also play a part. The shimmy of Mollies is different than the shimmy of Cichlids. I am assuming you are speaking of an African Cichlid (Zebra). The shimmy of the African (if it is a female) usually means she is about to lay eggs. That is if it is done over a rock or secluded burrow.

She can lay eggs. Africans are mouth broaders, not live bearers. They do not hold their fry inside of them and then give birth. They lay the eggs, a male fertilizes, then the female holds the eggs in her mouth until they hatch. They don't hold them in their stomache region. I'm not sure if they will lay without a male present, maybe someone can chime in.

ok ill look into it because im curious now about this behaviour....was worried about stress at first but she never acted ill or different in anyway so never thought much about it.....i do have a piece of flat slate in there....would i be able to see the eggs if she lays them?

When she is ready to lay, she will do a little circle dance shimmy over the rocks. She will lay each egg individually (at least that is what I witnessed with my peacocks). The male is then supposed to go behind her and fertilize. She will quickly take each egg into her mouth so they are not eaten by other fish. If you see her not eating for several days, this is a sign that she is holding. When she has a bulge on the underside of her mouth, she is definately holding. If she has enough eggs that hatch to fry, her gills will protrude. But, this will not happen unless a male is present to fertilize. Most people are not present to witness the egg laying so it is hard to catch them doing it. I have only witnessed our peacock lay eggs, but they were quickly eaten by another fish before the male fertilized. The Cobalts and Fryeri's have not laid in front of me before.

Back
Top Bottom