Can you put semi-aggressive fish with non-aggresive fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
One thing I noticed. You have White gravel and white decor. Fish try to match their surroundings, esp when they are nervous.

Black gravel or sand with some live plants would probably bring out your fish's colors a lot more IME.

If that's a real Coral skeleton it may change your water chemistry.

I use real plants and real driftwood and natural rocks in my tanks. But that's just my style.
View attachment 230231
This is an old pic of one of my tanks.
I was trying to get a pic of my CPDs. They almost glow when they are happy.

cool cool and no it is not its fake like everything else in the tank but i do havw one other issue my ceab keeps eating my little slow fish what fish are the best feeding fishes that are generally slow so my crab can catch them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

One thing I noticed. You have White gravel and white decor. Fish try to match their surroundings, esp when they are nervous.

Black gravel or sand with some live plants would probably bring out your fish's colors a lot more IME.

If that's a real Coral skeleton it may change your water chemistry.

I use real plants and real driftwood and natural rocks in my tanks. But that's just my style.
View attachment 230231
This is an old pic of one of my tanks.
I was trying to get a pic of my CPDs. They almost glow when they are happy.

and beautiful fish and tank btw! what type of fish are those again?

cool cool and no it is not its fake like everything else in the tank but i do havw one other issue my ceab keeps eating my little slow fish what fish are the best feeding fishes that are generally slow so my crab can catch them.

I don't feed crabs live fish. You can feed other things. No recommendations from me. I target feed crabs with frozen/thawed bloodworms and shrimp pellets. Crabs need tall plants or decor to climb so they don't drown ( depending on species ). I would give your Crab it's own tank so it will stop killing your fish and get to eat its own food in peace.

Overstocking can lead to poor water quality, stress, stunted growth, shortened life span, etc...all of which can lead to death.

A 10g is small so values can change quickly. Things that you can get away with in a 55g, don't work in such a small environment.

Yes, African Cichlids are sometimes heavily stocked to spread aggression. But this is done in large tanks with lots of hiding places and extra filtration and with proper knowledge of which species should cohabit without killing each other off.

Also nervous species, even as babies, may panic and hit walls in small tanks.
Bala Shark babies often kill themselves when kept singly in small tanks.

Personally I advise stocking 10g tanks with Nano fish species that can live out healthy happy lives within that volume of water.

20g tanks need to be stocked carefully as well. What works for a 20 Long may not work for a 20g High tank.

I've watched a bala shark grow to 6 inches in a 20g long and I have taken two upside down catfish and put then in separate tens with the same filter. I kept the one amazing water and the other changed it maybe once a month. The one in the good parameters grow and lived just like normal and the other did not. In my experience it is the water quality kept in the tank that cause the fish to get stunted and die. Let's look at it this way. If you had a 55g cichlid tank it would most likely be overstocked to kept aggression spread evenly between the fish. Now these people also do like pwc 50% once a twice a week compared to the normal 25%-30 once a week because they know their nitrates will get to high and will eventually stress their fish and lead to other bacterial diseases.

If you are willing to do the extra work and overstocked tank is fine. But I Am not saying a tank to small for your fish is like in this cAse and typically poeple who stock a tank with such fish are not doing the extra pwcs.

What type of crab?

Back
Top Bottom