Canister filters. Hoses with crusty stuff?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ejaramillo01

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have two canister filters running in my tank, I've never cleaned the hoses (flexible pipes) that connect the canister to the outlet and inlets.
I clean the baskets and filters like every other week, with tank water, to remove the gunky stuff.
But I have seen that in the flexible pipes have been growing crusty stuff, like gunk, like algae!
My questions are :
Is this kind of build up normal? Are these the good bacterias? Do I need to clean these pipes?

Once in a while when I turned on the filters after a PWC, they expel a lot of this crust through the outlet, making the tank dirty! I hate this.

Thanks for your replys!

Clean them. I tie a string around a bit of rag, feed the string through and then pull the rag through. A bit of hot water and some time and you can degunk them.

I've never cleaned mine. I simply put a bucket under the stand and open the valve on the hose real quick, shut it off, open it real quick, repeat a few times, then fill the bucket up... Usually breaks up the mulm and cleans it out pretty good.

Back
Top Bottom