cartridge change

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bcurlacher54

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was just wondering what is the best way to change out filter cartridges without losing the cycle? not sure if i worded that right but my filter cartridges finally need changing and i dont want to kill my tank. i have 2 penguin 350's, which would be 4 cartridges.

i always keep 2 cartridges and change the dirtiest two so the bacteria is still there and the filter is cleaner.
i also get a bowl of norm tankwater and rinse the old dirty two that im going to change and add the new ones so they immediately take on some bacteria. hows that? xx

Sounds ok. I have cut out some of the filter material and strapped it to the new ones so that the water has to flow from the old one into the new. Not sure I'd you'll have enough room to do it buy it has worked for me in the past. I think you might have a mini cycle either way.

The best way IMO is to jam a new one right up against it for as long as possible (the longer the better). That way the BB will seed the new filter media and won't have as large of an impact when removed.

If it doesn't fit...try to find a way to make it fit. You also don't need to use the cartridges designed for your filter, they're mostly just a sales tactic. You can buy a rolled up sheet of filter media that you cut to size. It's thinner (so it'll fit against your cartridge), cheap and very efficient.

i think theres room for two filters in the peguin 350, i have a mesh bag of media in behind the filter now, if that helps at all with reseeding.

Back
Top Bottom