cat litter carton for water changes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FWFishTanks

Aquarium Advice Addict
My family has cats and some of the litter is in an approximately 2.5 gallon carton with a handle (like a milk carton). The ingredients in the litter are: Natural clay, and fragrance.
I do not know what this "fragrance" is, and I was not sure if the carton would be safe to use for water changes. Does anyone know if this would be safe?

Just use it to remove the dirty water for a couple of weeks. By then it should be rinsed enough. I used an old mop bucket that previously had, well, floor cleaner in it and have had no problems (I've been using it ~5 months now)

To risky it's so cheap to buy a new bucket and just keep that for your fish

If you can't afford a bucket you can't afford to keep fish

It is cheap, but really it's not risky. Just rinsed it really good. Plenty of people on this forum have used things that previously had chemicals and not had problems. It's come up in other threads recently

Most of my fish buckets are old cat litter buckets. I have 4 of them that I use for various things.

I use an old Tidy Cat litter container for my fish tanks.

Like the other knowledgeable post above...I just rinsed it out, used it for emptying water at first, and now I use it to fill with clean water.

What I like about it, is it is heavier in construction than a bucket, has a handle and a lid to prevent spillage. Besides it is recycling.

Mine also are rectangular which I find much more useful than a round bucket. I can actually stick an HOB on it in a pinch.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

All of my buckets have been ran through dishwashers using industrial strength detergent. No problems for over a year now. There's no need to worry about it.

My family has cats and some of the litter is in an approximately 2.5 gallon carton with a handle (like a milk carton). The ingredients in the litter are: Natural clay, and fragrance.
I do not know what this "fragrance" is, and I was not sure if the carton would be safe to use for water changes. Does anyone know if this would be safe?

Home Depot and Lowes have a 5 gallon plastic bucket for just a couple of bucks, can't go wrong with that.

yep! you are good to go! I used the yellow tidy cats buckets (and still do) when I started out. just rinse them good and no soap. I will say that I always used i siphon to empty the tank and then at the beginning used the buckets to fill. now I use the siphon for both ways. so much easier! but then I have a 90 gallon tank, so it is alot of water... I also have the home depot orange buckets. they are great too.

Home Depot and Lowes have a 5 gallon plastic bucket for just a couple of bucks, can't go wrong with that.

Exactly my point

My dog may not die if I feed it chocolate but it might so surely it's best not to take the risky in the first place

It's all about cutting down on risks with fish keeping and for the sake of a $2 bucket mmmmmm go for it just think of all the great things you can buy with the $2 you saved

yep! you are good to go! I used the yellow tidy cats buckets (and still do) when I started out. just rinse them good and no soap. I will say that I always used i siphon to empty the tank and then at the beginning used the buckets to fill. now I use the siphon for both ways. so much easier! but then I have a 90 gallon tank, so it is alot of water... I also have the home depot orange buckets. they are great too.

You have a 90g and you are still carrying buckets around wwwwwwwwhy

It's all about cutting down on risks with fish keeping and for the sake of a $2 bucket mmmmmm go for it just think of all the great things you can buy with the $2 you saved

But they aren't rectangular :( Therefore they suck.

Lol you guys are great! I USED to use buckets, but quickly realized the benefits of a gravel vac. I still use my buckets for filter cleaning and always have one handy during water changes to drop the hose in at the start and end, but no... I use a hose to fill and empty. Best purchase ever!

Back
Top Bottom