Cause of NitrAtes Elevating?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eddyk

Aquarium Advice Activist
I wanted another take on a common question...

Any help here would be great.

125g heavily planted cycled tank. 50 or so fish (1-1.5" )
Co2 system
PPS pro ferts
Ammonia 0
NitrItes 0
pH 7.2-7.4
NitrAtes 50-80 !

Possible Causes?

Over feeeding
dead fish hidden in the jungle
Too many fish?

Combination?

Hey Fishdude,

Because the tank is packed with plants, I did not do changes, now I am doing 10-15% 1-2x a week.

Hey Fishdude, Because the tank is packed with plants, I did not do changes, now I am doing 10-15% 1-2x a week.
Your tank would have to be extremely heavily planted to see "some" nitrate reduction and even then you still need water changes. I know we always look for ways to get away with less water changes but there is no substitute. Also over stocking and overfeeding play a role in nitrates, more fish=more food=more nitrates.
I would do 25-50% a week. I think it will be good for your plants as well.

yeah, definitely up the wc to 25% a week. In a tank that size with that stocking load, I doubt more than 25% weekly would be needed.
Overall those readings aren't at panic levels yet, but does need attention and can be easily managed by water changes.
Don't attempt to get it down to 5ppm overnight though, that could do more harm than good to the little fishies.

I wonder, could the use of extra fertilizers maybe cause the plants to not utilize the nitrates produced by the fish/BB?
I honestly don't know myself.

Back
Top Bottom