Cherry Barbs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Curious1

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I want to get some Cherry Barbs since they I've read they are peaceful community tank fish that are hardy. I went to the fish store yesterday and on their label it said they are "semi aggressive". This goes against everything I've read about them. I didn't purchase them because I wanted to get feedback from others who may have them to see if they are truly peaceful.

From what I know about barbs, is that they are major fin nippers and generally should be kept in a "barbs only tank" to be truly safe.

cherry barbs are the exception... probably shouldn't even be grouped in with other barb fish like tigers, odessas, etc. They're so timid it takes work just to make sure they get fed in a busy community tank.

Cherry barbs can be fin nippers, but alot depends on their surroundings. In a crowded tank where the fish are fighting for space more aggressive behaviors will crop up. Also the size of the group can be important. I have read that cherry barbs like to be kept in groups of 5 or more.
In my 46 gal there are plenty of hiding spots and lots swimming room. The 8 cherry barbs in the tank, along with the other fish, have been very peaceful.

I like cherry barbs, they are very peacefull, also if you like cherry barbs you may like rosy barbs, they look a lot alike except rosy barbs have long flowy fins, In fact they are hardy too, I had one survive terrible ich, he was the only one out of a tank of 30 fish.

I've never had a problem with them, they're one of my faves because of how peaceful they are, I've never seen them nip anything, not saying it doesn't happen but I've never had a problem with it.

I have cherry barbs in my 80 gallon (it's well planted & has lots of rock caves). I've never had an issue out of them. They make a lovely school and never nip my other fishes :) Keep in mind temperment varies from fish to fish though, but from my own experience, I think they make good tankmates! (I have lemon tetras, glo fish, ghost/glass catfish, angelfish, pleco, and a blue powder dwarf gourami with mine)

I think that people run into issues when there is not enough room in the tank for everyone and they've overstocked....i would think that would provoke issues over territory. When you add your new barbs to your tank...I would suggest rearranging your plants/caves so that everyone has to establish new territory...I'd also turn the light off in the tank for the first introduction. Good luck!

I've never had an issue with cherry barbs either. I have several in my 75 community planted, they don't bother anyone.

Back
Top Bottom